Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical lighting mystery

I have two hanging pendants over my kitchen island in my new home (50W
halogen bulbs). One went out a week or so ago...thought it burned out
so I got a new bulb. New bulb didn't work....so I thought it must be
the lighting fixture. Tried the bulb in the other light to make sure it
worked and did (so did the old bulb, not burned out...). But - when I
put a bulb in the not-working fixture when they power is on (I was
experimenting) the light works fine - both are on. I leave them on,
they are fine. If I turn them off and turn them back on, they both come
back on. BUT...when I turn them off and leave them for awhile (20mins+)
then the one doesn't come back on again!?! Do you think it is a bad
light fixture or something else electrical? Terribly confused....

Thanks

This is what the fixture looks like (not exact model) just in case:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...endant&x=0&y=0

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Nothing to be confused about. You have a bad socket. Halogen lamps burn real
hot and burn out the contact metal in the socket

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Nothing to be confused about. You have a bad socket. Halogen lamps
burn real hot and burn out the contact metal in the socket

That was my first guess, but I would not rule out some sort of power
supply problem. Is this line voltage or low voltage halogen lamps?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Nothing to be confused about. You have a bad socket. Halogen lamps burn

real
hot and burn out the contact metal in the socket

I agree that it could be the socket. Get a magnifying glass and look inside
of the socket. There may be a strip of metal on the side that makes contact
with the bulb. Try bending it out ever so slightly with a very small
screwdriver.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

Nothing to be confused about. You have a bad socket. Halogen lamps burn

real

hot and burn out the contact metal in the socket

I agree that it could be the socket. Get a magnifying glass and look inside
of the socket. There may be a strip of metal on the side that makes contact
with the bulb. Try bending it out ever so slightly with a very small
screwdriver.

And, TURN THE POWER OFF before you stick that screwdriver in.

Also, if they are screw base bulbs look at the contact at the bottom
center of the socket. If it's flattened down, try pulling it up a bit
with a piece of stiff wire with a small "L" bent at its end.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

roups.com...

Electrical mystery SJP Home Repair 6 June 3rd 06 07:14 PM
Electrical Lighting Problem Rob Gilchrist UK diy 10 February 25th 05 11:13 PM
Lighting circuit: spur to electrical socket [email protected] UK diy 17 January 18th 05 11:16 PM
Lighting electrical question jack Home Repair 5 December 11th 04 02:07 PM
Shop Lighting - Electrical Wiring x071907 Woodworking 6 March 11th 04 01:41 AM