Rob Gilchrist

Default Electrical Lighting Problem

Hi
I recently moved house and at the weekend I pulled down an old lean-to
outside the kitchen. The lean-to had a light fitting and was connected
by 2 x 1sq mm PVC twin core cables. As part of the tidy up, I turned
off the electricity and cut the cables. Now I no longer have lights in
the ground floor of the house, I have taped up the cables so they are
not exposed and checked the fusebox and all fuses are OK.

Am I right in assuming one of the cables is the main circuit and the
other is the cable to the light switch?

I am happy to get an electrician out, but first wanted to check that I
wasn't missing something, that could fix the problem easily.

Cheers
Rob
Jim Backus

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:09:10 UTC, "Bob Eager"
wrote:

begin a new life...dump Windows!

Strange who lurks here!

--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j dot backus the circle thingy jita dot

Bob Eager

wrote:

begin a new life...dump Windows!

Strange who lurks here!

Indeed - but at least *i* am on the 'right' continent!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Jim Backus

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:26:42 UTC, "Bob Eager"
wrote:

begin a new life...dump Windows!

Strange who lurks here!

Indeed - but at least *i* am on the 'right' continent!

Why do you think I'm not? I live on the Herts / Essex borders. I had
an exchange with a German recently who also thought I was American -
both on usenet so I'm wondering if something is set up incorrectly.

--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j dot backus the circle thingy jita dot
demon dot co dot uk

Brian Sharrock

wrote:

begin a new life...dump Windows!

Strange who lurks here!

Indeed - but at least *i* am on the 'right' continent!

Why do you think I'm not? I live on the Herts / Essex borders. I had
an exchange with a German recently who also thought I was American -
both on usenet so I'm wondering if something is set up incorrectly.

You're "set up" utilises character set 'us-ascii'. This may, or may not,
be incorrect. Your choice.

--

Brian

Bob Eager

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:00:18 UTC, "Jim Backus" wrote:

Indeed - but at least *i* am on the 'right' continent!

Why do you think I'm not? I live on the Herts / Essex borders. I had
an exchange with a German recently who also thought I was American -
both on usenet so I'm wondering if something is set up incorrectly.

I just always thought you were...probably the .com domain! Oh
well....I'm not far away, in Kent...!

--
Bob Eager

Lurch wrote:
(Rob Gilchrist) said:

Am I right in assuming one of the cables is the main circuit and the
other is the cable to the light switch?

Chances are that one of the cables was the 'mains loop in' from the

CU
and the other was the 'mains loop out' to the rest of the lights in
the house. If it is then there should have been a third wire going to
the switch. Was there a switch in the lean to?

Hmm, almost as worrying as when the double glazing fitters plugged
their 110V transformer into my (seldom used) double socket in the hall
a couple of days ago.

'trip' went the 6A MCB on the lighting circuit :-0000

Time for a little urgent detective work I think ...

P.

Jim Backus

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:43:57 UTC, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

Why do you think I'm not? I live on the Herts / Essex borders. I had
an exchange with a German recently who also thought I was American -
both on usenet so I'm wondering if something is set up incorrectly.

You're "set up" utilises character set 'us-ascii'. This may, or may not,
be incorrect. Your choice.

Thanks - I'll look into that. I use an Australian keyboard which does
not have a Pound symbol - that may be the reason.

--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j dot backus the circle thingy jita dot
demon dot co dot uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article TpquPuPd0tCd-pn2-rlddJFnI8xdw@localhost,
Jim Backus wrote:
Why do you think I'm not? I live on the Herts / Essex borders. I had
an exchange with a German recently who also thought I was American -
both on usenet so I'm wondering if something is set up incorrectly.

You're "set up" utilises character set 'us-ascii'. This may, or may
not, be incorrect. Your choice.

Thanks - I'll look into that. I use an Australian keyboard which does
not have a Pound symbol - that may be the reason.

The 'pound' symbol isn't an approved Newsgroup character - it may, or may
not - appear correctly. Use GBP to denote the UK currency.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.