Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring new oven to old electrical

Hi there- I have a new oven I plan on hard wiring to existing three
wire 240 amp outlet. The new wiring has four wires and wiring
instructions give several options for wiring:

B. CONNECTING THE GREEN APPLIANCE WIRE TO THE
NUETRAL(WHITE)SUPPLY WIRE-WHERE LOCAL CODES PERMIT

1. Connect the green and white appliance wires to the
nuetral(white)supply wire in the junction box.

2. Connect the black appliance wire to the black(l1) power supply
wire in the junction box.

3. Connect the red appliance wire to the red(l2) power supply wire
in the junction box.

OR

C. CONNECTING THE GREEN APPLIANCE WIRE TO A GROUNDED SUPPLY WIRE OR A
GROUNDED COLD WATER PIPE-WHERE LOCAL CODES PERMIT.

1. seperate the green and white appliance wires

2. Connect the white appliance wire to the neutral(white)supply wire
in the junction box.

3. Connect the black appliance wire to the black(l1) supply wire in
the junction box.

4. Connect the red appliance wire to the red(l2) supply wire in the
junction box.

5. Connect the green appliance wire to a grounded supply wire in
the junction box or to a grounded cold water pipe.

6. If connecting to a grounded cold water pipe , a seperate copper
grounding wire(No. 10 min.) must be connected to a grounded cold water
pipe by means of a clamp and then to an external grounding connector
screw.

My question is the outlet has only red, black and white wires(three
wire). Is it safe to use step b for hard wiring regardless of local
code? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "JackWalla" who stated:

My question is the outlet has only red, black and white wires(three
wire). Is it safe to use step b for hard wiring regardless of local
code? Any help would be appreciated.

Add a green wire and you'll be set. Green goes to the frame of the
oven.
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, the NEC allows you to do that for an existing range feeder. Any new
installation would require a four wire feeder

"JackWalla" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Fearn wrote:
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Did she really say that? To Richard?

I can't imagine why.

Ring, ring.
"Hello..."
"Hello, is this Dr Feynman?"
"Yes..."
"Dr Richard P. Feynman?"
"Yes..."
"Dr Feynman, my name is Joe Smith. I am the United States Ambassador to the
court of King Gustav V of Norway. It is my distinct pleasure to inform you
that you have just won the 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics."
"Do you know what the hell time it is in California?"
"....er, no..."
"It is 3:00 o'clock in the goddamn morning. Call me back after nine!"
click

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would ADD a green ground wire for safetys sake!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "HeyBub" who stated:

Don Fearn wrote:
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Did she really say that? To Richard?

She did. Read:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Care-Othe.../dp/0553347845

-Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

JackWalla wrote:
[...]

I would add a green wire back to the panel. Yea, it would be a pain.
Yea, it would be safer.

BTW I hope that is a 240 volt outlet not a 240 amp outlet.

If you have not already done it, I suggest you make sure the amps
required by the new equipment do not exceed the breaker or wire size.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Oven wiring Rich Home Repair 1 August 18th 06 11:36 PM
Wiring to hob and oven Bob Martin UK diy 9 August 12th 06 09:19 AM
New electrical supply to oven F UK diy 64 June 8th 06 11:18 PM
electrical questions - cooktop and oven [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 7th 06 09:11 AM
Oven and Hob Wiring Gramps UK diy 7 February 9th 05 04:50 AM