Posted to alt.home.repair

Default interior door hinge mounting problem

hello all,

hoping somebody may know a trick or two or a workaround to
my problem.

renovating an older house (20's or 30's craftsman type). the
door walls are studs, wrapped with 12" lap boards. we have
put up sheetrock on top of that.

since the original was stud, lap boards and wallpaper; now
i have about 1/2 inch (each side) to make up. i will add an
inch to the door frame to make up for the difference.

the problem is two of the three hinge screws ended up right at
the join of the interior door frames and their casing. hollow
core new doors would not be a problem. however the original
wood doors are heavy solid yellow pine doors.

butting up the sheetrock to the casing would be a problem,
since it is a pier and beam. any movement will separate
the join between the casing and the sheetrock.

i don't want to replace the casings (good old clear southern
yellow pine, stripped bare and ready for polyurethane). they are
all 3/4" thick and 5" wide.

thanks in advance for any input/idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Dec 2006 15:45:19 -0800, wrote:

i don't want to replace the casings (good old clear southern
yellow pine, stripped bare and ready for polyurethane). they are
all 3/4" thick and 5" wide.

thanks in advance for any input/idea.

You made me look up this link I saw recently. The guy recycles old
barns; etc. from Southern Pine.

A very nice floor....

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/224196328.html

--