Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mark sabatini

Default Hotpoint fridge door hinge problem/question

I have a Hotpoint side-by-side refrigerator and it has been working
fine for several years now.
Last week, noticed that the refrigerator door was sitting lower than
the freezer door by about 1/2".
Found that the door had actually dropped lower because it was missing
something that attaches to the lower hinge to keep it up.
Comparing the 2 doors, it looks like it is missing a plastic/metal
riser/washer thingy that sits on the lower hinge and keeps the door
up.

I don't know what this part is called. It probably broke sometime and
was thrown away when found lying on the kitchen floor.

Anyone know what this is called? Can I just get this part, remove the
door and put this in, or would the lower hinge need to be replaced?
Thanks.

-Mark Sabatini
JD

mark sabatini wrote in message
om...
I have a Hotpoint side-by-side refrigerator and it has been working
fine for several years now.
Last week, noticed that the refrigerator door was sitting lower than
the freezer door by about 1/2".
Found that the door had actually dropped lower because it was missing
something that attaches to the lower hinge to keep it up.
Comparing the 2 doors, it looks like it is missing a plastic/metal
riser/washer thingy that sits on the lower hinge and keeps the door
up.

I don't know what this part is called. It probably broke sometime and
was thrown away when found lying on the kitchen floor.

Anyone know what this is called? Can I just get this part, remove the
door and put this in, or would the lower hinge need to be replaced?
Thanks.

I doubt it's a missing part. Those doors are adjustable and I suspect it has
slipped over time. Check you owner's manual for the location of the
adjustment. On the new GE I just adjusted, it's on the bottom hinge of the
refrigerator side. It's a very easy thing to do but make sure you make the
adjustment with the door open.

Dan O.

mark sabatini wrote

JD wrote in message ...

I doubt it's a missing part. Those doors are adjustable and I suspect it

has
slipped over time. Check you owner's manual for the location of the
adjustment. On the new GE I just adjusted, it's on the bottom hinge of the
refrigerator side. It's a very easy thing to do but make sure you make the
adjustment with the door open.

Many side by side refrigerator models have 'door closer' mechanisms (shims)
on the lower door hinge to help the door close more easily. If once broke,
it could very well cause the door to sit lower.

You can see one GE version (they also make Hotpoint) at the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=614

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=H...t+fridge+hinge

=Ð~~~~~~

Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Temperature too high Lee UK diy 5 June 15th 04 11:21 PM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Ian UK diy 2 January 14th 04 12:44 AM
Hotpoint Fridge 1998 Stops Periodically with Period in Months. Shilpa Singh Home Repair 14 January 1st 04 03:08 PM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 07:06 PM