Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen door hinge problem

My hinges have pulled out of one of my kitchen cupboard doors and the
screws no longer bite into the chipboard. Does anyone have a solution
to what to fill them with so that they won't pull out again? thanks v
much!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

My hinges have pulled out of one of my kitchen cupboard doors and the
screws no longer bite into the chipboard. Does anyone have a solution
to what to fill them with so that they won't pull out again? thanks v
much!

Epoxy car body filler (or epoxy wood filler). Chisel out a bit more of the
wood, so the hole expands out from the initial hole so that the filler can
wedge fully inside, if that makes sense.

i.e.

----/ \--
/ \
-------

is better than

----\ /---
\ /
-

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some possibiles:
Oversize screws
Through bolts into adjacent cupboard
Drill new holes in the hinge plates so you can have screws in a new
location

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Matt wrote:

Pity it's the door as if it were the carcass side you could have used
one of these - just 70p and couple of quid small order charge.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....+-+Bright+Zinc

What a useful thing! Thanks for the link.

Chipboard is well known to be made from Weetabix so just mix one up
with a bit of epoxy resin and cram it in the hole

I thought it was Shredded Wheat?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:18:40 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Matt wrote:

Pity it's the door as if it were the carcass side you could have used
one of these - just 70p and couple of quid small order charge.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....+-+Bright+Zinc

What a useful thing! Thanks for the link.

Chipboard is well known to be made from Weetabix so just mix one up
with a bit of epoxy resin and cram it in the hole

I thought it was Shredded Wheat?

Depends on the distance to the cereal factory - I'm nearer to
Kettering than Welwyn Garden City

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks everyone for your excellent replies! This is the first time I've
visited the uk diy group and I'm really impressed. I've ordered a
couple of the Woodfit repair plates which look excellent, and even I
can't muck up fixing them (famous last words). cheers