Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting rough estimate

What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

How about the outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trs80" wrote in message
What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

How about the outside?

10 cents per here and $10 there.

No one can even come close to helping you if they don't know where you live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"trs80" wrote in message
What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

Maybe 50 cents per square foot of wall, not counting trim or repair, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

"trs80" wrote in message

What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

Maybe 50 cents per square foot of wall, not counting trim or repair, etc.

Fine. Sold. Can you start tomorrow? I have people gladly paying
three times that around here, so lunch is on me.

Do you think you're doing the OP a favor by tossing out a number
without _any_ information other than it's a _house_? The only thing I
can tell you is that you're number is wrong. You might be high or low,
but since I also don't have any information, I can't tell for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
jeffc wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

"trs80" wrote in message

What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

Maybe 50 cents per square foot of wall, not counting trim or repair, etc.

Fine. Sold. Can you start tomorrow? I have people gladly paying
three times that around here, so lunch is on me.

Do you think you're doing the OP a favor by tossing out a number
without _any_ information other than it's a _house_? The only thing I
can tell you is that you're number is wrong. You might be high or low,
but since I also don't have any information, I can't tell for sure.

Interesting logic. Since you don't know where the house is either, how
can you be sure his number has to be high or low? It is also possible
that the number just happens to be correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
jeffc wrote:
"trs80" wrote in message

What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a proffessional
inside house painting done?

Maybe 50 cents per square foot of wall, not counting trim or repair, etc.

Fine. Sold. Can you start tomorrow? I have people gladly paying
three times that around here, so lunch is on me.

Do you think you're doing the OP a favor by tossing out a number
without _any_ information other than it's a _house_? The only thing I
can tell you is that you're number is wrong. You might be high or low,
but since I also don't have any information, I can't tell for sure.

Interesting logic. Since you don't know where the house is either, how
can you be sure his number has to be high or low? It is also possible
that the number just happens to be correct.

Define correct. If his number is the "correct" one, does that mean
that all of the painters in that area, regardless of backlog and
quality use the same exact number for estimating? Of course not.

Giving someone an essentially random number is at best misleading and
at worst harmful. Suppose the OP doesn't know any better and relies on
that random number? Say a highely recommended contractor with a
reputation for quality and good prices gives him a number of 75 cents a
foot. The OP may pass on that contractor thinking that the price is
high. What if it's not? What if 75 cents is the going rate in his
area for an average painter, and in fact the higher quality contractor
is a bargain at 75 cents?

Flip it around. Say a low quality contractor gives him a price of 50
cents, and the going rate _is_ 50 cents. The OP accepts it because it
is the "correct" number. Unfortunately it's not the correct number for
that contractor - his price should be 25 cents because he doesn't
believe in painting prep and cleaning.

The only way to get a reliable number is to pick up the phone, have
someone eyeball the property, make sure their work is to your
satisfaction and not some fly-by-night operation, and that their
schedule works with yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
jeffc wrote:
"trs80" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief, take a breath and calm down. I hardly think that someone
is going to be seriously harmed by someone giving a wild guess on the
cost of painting a square foot of wall. And I don't disagree that
there isn't enough info about the scope of the work, location, etc.
My only point was you stated:

" The only thing I can tell you is that you're number is wrong. You
might be high or low,
but since I also don't have any information, I can't tell for sure. "

Unless the laws of logic have been repealed, there is also the third
possibility that he isn't high or low, but that the number he gave just
happens to be one that the guy could get the job done for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks. I had someone quote and they were spot on with your estimate.
"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
jeffc wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

"trs80" wrote in message

What is a rough estimate based on square footage to have a
proffessional
inside house painting done?

Maybe 50 cents per square foot of wall, not counting trim or repair, etc.

Fine. Sold. Can you start tomorrow? I have people gladly paying
three times that around here, so lunch is on me.

Do you think you're doing the OP a favor by tossing out a number
without _any_ information other than it's a _house_? The only thing I
can tell you is that you're number is wrong. You might be high or low,
but since I also don't have any information, I can't tell for sure.

Painting - Estimate For Applying Kilz Gideon Home Repair 13 June 8th 07 04:05 PM
Question about painting rough cedar clapboards Brent Home Repair 4 August 7th 06 01:57 PM
Painting over rough, paint-stripped brick - how to cover with primer? Turaco Home Repair 2 July 18th 06 10:59 PM
BF Estimate Donnie Vazquez Woodworking 3 January 7th 05 07:02 AM
Rough estimate of new furnace/AC and water heater costs Me Home Repair 2 August 27th 04 02:06 PM