Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall gas heater wasteful

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

Tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in news

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

Reversible rotation ceiling fan will blow air from the ceiling towards the
floor.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia spake thus:

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

I think that's why they make ceiling fans. (Assuming you have enough
headroom for one, that is.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

you mean having 1000's of people check your information is NOT a good
idea?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark spake thus:

[ my sig]

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

you mean having 1000's of people check your information is NOT a good
idea?

Not if your information is bogus, no.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:25:39 GMT, "news"
wrote:

Does your wall heater have a fan? If not, replace it because it is very
inefficient.

No, it doesn't have a fan, and yes it is very inefficient. [1]
However, I'm not ready to go to the expense of replacing it for the
minimal use I would make of it, or any, room heater, given the short
duration of our "winter" and my general preference for cooler temps.
Nor is the situation worth installing a ceiling fan, but thanks for
all for those kind suggestions.

[1] When I bought the house, it had two floor furnaces that really
did the job. Unfortunately, I left something on one of the grates,
there was a fire, and in the process of redoing the house, I --
foolishly as it turns out -- opted for wall heater instead of
reinstalling the floor furnaces. (They DID take up a lot of room,
but they also heated much better.) Oh well...What with global
warming, all this will soon be moot.

Hint: Buy land in Northern Canada...

Sounds like nobody has a good word to say for those clear
plastic diverters that are installed at the top of the wall furnace
and (supposedly) divert some of the heat down instead of up.

aspasia wrote in message
news

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

Tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had a furnace like that when I lived there many years ago. I just
used an ordinary fan on those occasions when I used it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why ask a question if your not going to heed the obvious advice. Just
get a fan beside the heater and be done with it tight wad. Geez.

unvented wall mounted gas space heater shortmort37 Home Ownership 25 January 12th 06 05:54 PM
Gas Wall Heater tbl Home Repair 1 January 10th 06 12:07 PM
Repairing wall mounted gas heater. Abrasha Metalworking 25 December 21st 05 04:08 AM
natural gas heater in wall vs. floor George Samuels Home Ownership 2 January 23rd 05 07:12 PM
Natural gas smell from top of wall heater [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 6th 04 12:58 PM