DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wall gas heater wasteful (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184437-wall-gas-heater-wasteful.html)

aspasia December 1st 06 03:32 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

Tx

propman December 1st 06 04:44 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

aspasia wrote in :

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

Reversible rotation ceiling fan will blow air from the ceiling towards the
floor.......

David Nebenzahl December 1st 06 04:49 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

aspasia spake thus:

This is So Calif coastal. We hardly ever heat, but in the
middle of "winter" it's cooooold in the morning in the front rooms
where the sun doesn't come in at first.

I can't afford to use more than 2 small electrical heaters
(one in bedroom, one in kitchen) or things will blow.

Question: Wall gas heater spends hours heating the ceiling before
something seeps down into the large open space living room/dining
room.

Is there any point in buying some kind of diverter to focus the heat
DOWN instead of up to the ceiling?

If so, any recommendations?

I think that's why they make ceiling fans. (Assuming you have enough
headroom for one, that is.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Mark December 1st 06 09:37 PM

Wall gas heater wasteful

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

you mean having 1000's of people check your information is NOT a good
idea?

Mark

David Nebenzahl December 2nd 06 02:08 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

Mark spake thus:

[ my sig]

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

you mean having 1000's of people check your information is NOT a good
idea?

Not if your information is bogus, no.

aspasia December 4th 06 12:48 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:25:39 GMT, "news"
wrote:

Does your wall heater have a fan? If not, replace it because it is very
inefficient.

No, it doesn't have a fan, and yes it is very inefficient. [1]
However, I'm not ready to go to the expense of replacing it for the
minimal use I would make of it, or any, room heater, given the short
duration of our "winter" and my general preference for cooler temps.
Nor is the situation worth installing a ceiling fan, but thanks for
all for those kind suggestions.

[1] When I bought the house, it had two floor furnaces that really
did the job. Unfortunately, I left something on one of the grates,
there was a fire, and in the process of redoing the house, I --
foolishly as it turns out -- opted for wall heater instead of
reinstalling the floor furnaces. (They DID take up a lot of room,
but they also heated much better.) Oh well...What with global
warming, all this will soon be moot.

Hint: Buy land in Northern Canada...

Sounds like nobody has a good word to say for those clear
plastic diverters that are installed at the top of the wall furnace
and (supposedly) divert some of the heat down instead of up.

m...

Rich256 December 4th 06 02:18 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

wrote:

[...]

I had a furnace like that when I lived there many years ago. I just
used an ordinary fan on those occasions when I used it.

[email protected] December 4th 06 02:55 AM

Wall gas heater wasteful

wrote:

[...]

Why ask a question if your not going to heed the obvious advice. Just
get a fan beside the heater and be done with it tight wad. Geez.