Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing main ground rods

Were removing a planter alongside my buddes home to widen his driveway.

His ground rods are in the planter. I think we should replace them to a
offset in the driveway. The home narrows a bit partway back.

Ny friend wants to either drive them deeper or pull them out and move
them.

he is cheap

Where does one buy that groundrod driver that fits in a hammer drill??
many electrical supply houses have closed around here and the home
depot person had no idea what I was talking about.

The existing ground is a single ground rod whats the current code?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?
wrote in message
oups.com...
Were removing a planter alongside my buddes home to widen his driveway.

His ground rods are in the planter. I think we should replace them to a
offset in the driveway. The home narrows a bit partway back.

Ny friend wants to either drive them deeper or pull them out and move
them.

he is cheap

Where does one buy that groundrod driver that fits in a hammer drill??
many electrical supply houses have closed around here and the home
depot person had no idea what I was talking about.

The existing ground is a single ground rod whats the current code?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?

groundrods would be driven over by vehicles and ground wire too short
anyway. wire woulld likely get short as rod is driven deeper.

my friend wants to pull the rod, its rustry and has anyone ever pulled
one out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

RBM (remove this) wrote:
2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?

groundrods would be driven over by vehicles and ground wire too short
anyway. wire woulld likely get short as rod is driven deeper.

my friend wants to pull the rod, its rustry and has anyone ever pulled
one out?

Don't try to pull it, just trash it. It's deteriorated and won't survive
re-driving somewhere else.

Buy two new ground rods to locate 6' (or more) apart as noted in another
post. Also purchase enough wire of the appropriate gauge to wire the new
rods contiguously back to the main panel. Splices are not allowed in the
ground rod connection.

For driving the rods, look to Home Depot's tool rental for a goof Hilti
rotary hammer. Since the bozos at HD won't know what a ground rod driver
is, call the local Hilti branch and they will in all probability loan
you one to go with the drill.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?
Two is, or should be, an absolute NO NO.
You can get ground current between the two.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Were removing a planter alongside my buddes home to widen his driveway.

His ground rods are in the planter. I think we should replace them to a
offset in the driveway. The home narrows a bit partway back.

Ny friend wants to either drive them deeper or pull them out and move
them.

he is cheap

Where does one buy that groundrod driver that fits in a hammer drill??
many electrical supply houses have closed around here and the home
depot person had no idea what I was talking about.

The existing ground is a single ground rod whats the current code?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

You don't need a driver...dig a small depression where you want to
place the rod.

Stick the rod in the soil, fill the depression with water. With-draw
the rod and the water will run into the the hole. As the water
provides lubrication, a gentle up and down motion will let you easily
slip the rod into the soil.

Depending on the moisture content of the soil, you may need to replace
the water in the depression. I always finish the last 2 feet or so
with a sledge hammer, many light strokes rather than a few large ones
will keep the end from mashing out of shape.

Good luck,

DAC

On Nov 27, 6:46 pm, " wrote:
Where does one buy that groundrod driver that fits in a hammer drill??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?
Two is, or should be, an absolute NO NO.
You can get ground current between the two.

Suggest reading the codes.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
2-eight foot rods, six feet apart or prove the ground resistance. Why not
drive the one in deep?
Two is, or should be, an absolute NO NO.
You can get ground current between the two.

ground rods MUST be unified together, all connected together with water
line and any other grounds like a satellite dish or a shock hazard can
occur.

unified its no problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Nov 2006 16:46:18 -0800, "
wrote:

Were removing a planter alongside my buddes home to widen his driveway.

His ground rods are in the planter. I think we should replace them to a
offset in the driveway. The home narrows a bit partway back.

Ny friend wants to either drive them deeper or pull them out and move
them.

Ha Ha Ha, I actually cracked up, "pull them out and move them".

he is cheap

Where does one buy that groundrod driver that fits in a hammer drill??
many electrical supply houses have closed around here and the home
depot person had no idea what I was talking about.

The existing ground is a single ground rod whats the current code?

Get an electrician, they will check your whole grounding and bonding
system, and put ground rods in fast.

BTW, the NEC is Good, but many local codes are more restrictive, so
check with your local codes.

later,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Were removing a planter alongside my buddes home to widen his driveway.

His ground rods are in the planter. I think we should replace them to a
offset in the driveway. The home narrows a bit partway back.

Ny friend wants to either drive them deeper or pull them out and move
them.

he is cheap

Pouring concrete? I have read that tieing the ground to properly
bonded rebar in concrete can make a very good ground.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Pouring concrete? I have read that tieing the ground to properly
bonded rebar in concrete can make a very good ground.

Around here you can use wire embedded in concrete, but it has to be bare
copper wire embedded in the bottom two inches of the building footings.
(Uses the weight of the building pushing on it to help get better
ground contact.)

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Pouring concrete? I have read that tieing the ground to properly
bonded rebar in concrete can make a very good ground.

Around here you can use wire embedded in concrete, but it has to be bare
copper wire embedded in the bottom two inches of the building footings.
(Uses the weight of the building pushing on it to help get better
ground contact.)

Chris

he will go with gravel........ he tends to buy expensive toys like a
new harley every couple years but cheaps out on his home and it shows.

he REALLY needed a backhoe 3 years ago when he bought the home.

the driveway is sloped wrong, water coming off road above home washed
out back wall of garage.

a backhoe for a day, and some BIG dump truck loads of gravel can fix
the place.......''

his priorties are elsewhere and he is a nice guy and has helped me with
stuff, so I help him

personally I believe you should take good care of your home it saves
money.

example he has tree branches rubbing his roof, and with wind that will
ruin it.

yet he ignores it?

I dont understand folks like that, pole pruner can lob off those
branches.

I offered to help he isnt interested.