Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil under washer - need advice

I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6" diameter
under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing in a
washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not had
heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Cameron Davis

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting topic...

[Furious01 u563550]

Games I like to play!

J. Cameron Davis wrote:
I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6" diameter
under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing in a
washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not had
heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Cameron Davis

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting topic...

What is? The SPAM you posted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Cameron Davis" wrote in message
I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6"
diameter under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing
in a washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not
had heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Yes, there is probably a seal gone bad. Many washers have lubricant in a
transmission under the tub. If it all leaks, it will wear out very fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Ms8ah.1076347$084.230752@attbi_s22,
J. Cameron Davis wrote:
I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6" diameter
under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing in a
washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not had
heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Cameron Davis

The oil is from the washer transmission, which slows down the 1750
RPM motor to agitator speed and creates whatever agitation motion
your model uses. Moving the washer can cause some of oil to leak out
through the transmission vent, especially if it was tipped or tilted
while moving. A 6" puddle is nothing to worry about, it's probably
less than a spoonful of oil.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does this sound like a dyi repair project, or is this something for a
professional repairman? The washer is low end - the cheapest one for sale at
Lowe's. Because it's such a cheap machine, I'm not sure it would be cost
effective to have it repaired. If it's breaking after only two years, is it
likely it will continue to have problems?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"J. Cameron Davis" wrote in message
I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6"
diameter under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing
in a washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not
had heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Yes, there is probably a seal gone bad. Many washers have lubricant in a
transmission under the tub. If it all leaks, it will wear out very fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message

Your extended service plan should cover this. WHAT? You didn't buy an
extended service?? Your mistake.

No, if he took the money that the extended warry would cost on every
appliance b ought, he'd have enough left over to buy a new machine and still
put a bundle in the 401k.

Extended warrany is another word for "let's make more profit" at the store
level. They are in business to make money, not to repair appliances. Short
term, a few people make out on them, long term, most people just tossed
their money away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Extended warrany is another word for "let's make more profit" at the
store level. They are in business to make money, not to repair
appliances. Short term, a few people make out on them, long term,
most people just tossed their money away.

Beat this:

I bought a mousepad at Best Buy for 98¢...

For a mere $4.95 more I could get a year's warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:55:33 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Extended warrany is another word for "let's make more profit" at the
store level. They are in business to make money, not to repair
appliances. Short term, a few people make out on them, long term,
most people just tossed their money away.

Beat this:

I bought a mousepad at Best Buy for 98¢...

For a mere $4.95 more I could get a year's warranty.

But I bet they would not let you read the warranty; standing at the
cash register, holding up the line. Some people may buy an extended
warranty on an anvil purchase, but I don't know g.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

I disagree. I always take advantage of the extended warranty on any item
over $500 and I make it pay. I haven't bought an inkjet printer in 10 years
and have never had one more than 2.5 years old.

--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message

Your extended service plan should cover this. WHAT? You didn't buy an
extended service?? Your mistake.

No, if he took the money that the extended warry would cost on every
appliance b ought, he'd have enough left over to buy a new machine and
still put a bundle in the 401k.

Extended warrany is another word for "let's make more profit" at the store
level. They are in business to make money, not to repair appliances.
Short term, a few people make out on them, long term, most people just
tossed their money away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker LT wrote:
I disagree. I always take advantage of the extended warranty on any item
over $500 and I make it pay. I haven't bought an inkjet printer in 10 years
and have never had one more than 2.5 years old.

--

What the hell kind of inkjet printer costs $500?

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
I disagree. I always take advantage of the extended warranty on any
item over $500 and I make it pay. I haven't bought an inkjet printer
in 10 years and have never had one more than 2.5 years old.

An inkjet for $500 ?!!

In my experience, inkjet folks follow the Gillette business model: give away
the razor and sell the blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
I disagree. I always take advantage of the extended warranty on any item
over $500 and I make it pay. I haven't bought an inkjet printer in 10
years and have never had one more than 2.5 years old.

How much have you spend on service policies during that time?

You may be one of the tiny minority that makes it pay, but for most, it is a
big waste of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:37:58 -0500, krw wrote:

In article ,

Beat this:

I bought a mousepad at Best Buy for 98¢...

For a mere $4.95 more I could get a year's warranty.

But I bet they would not let you read the warranty; standing at the
cash register, holding up the line. Some people may buy an extended
warranty on an anvil purchase, but I don't know g.

Perhaps Wyle E. Cyote? He certainly seemed to go through a lot of
'em.

A good example of the school of hard knocks...

(in tears)

--
Oren