Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Ollie

Default Pressure Washer, Karcher G 4000 SH experience - it's the oil

Based on advice that for faster operations and better cleaning results, the
washer should have at least 3000 PSI or 3 GPM, I did purchase Kärcher G 4000
SH from a local Sam's Club. Nominally it has 4000 PSI and 3.6 GPM. My
guess is that in good conditions, it could be either 4000 PSI with 2 GPM or
2500 PSI with 3.6 GPM. The actual washing experience was quite good (walls,
cars, BBQ, ...).

Before I could start the washing, the assembly and first starting caused a
lot of frustration. I am blaming the manuals.

There are separate manuals for the washer and for the engine. The washer
manual is kind of ok. The required improvements a
- In assembly instructions either picture or text in steps 5 and 8 are mixed
for attaching the wand and high pressure hose to the spray gun
- There are no instructions or illustrations where the detergent suction
tube is connected and if the connection optional or mandatory.

The main complaint is for the Honda manual, which is for GX270 and GX390
engines with huge number of variants. I don't mind to have the manual in 6
different languages. What is bothering me, is that I could not connect the
illustrations and texts to the engine I have (13 HP GX390 with manual
start). I did all the steps described in the manual. Added gasoline and
oil. I did check the correct oil level several times. After 2 hour
frustration and futile starting attempts, I did started to read the manuals
for every detail and then I found a reference for another oil filler cap.
It happens to be that there was another cap in the engine. This one was
without the dipstick - unlike the illustrations in the manual - I guess it
was for a different model. These manuals are written by the engineers for
the engineers and they have too much irrelevant and misleading information
for the end users.

At that time, I didn't have too many options and I started to fill this
other oil tank. Perhaps, I put there too much oil without realizing that
there is only one oil tank, which happens to have two caps. With the
dipstick in the first oil fill hole, I could determine that now there was
too much oil. At that phase, I didn't care and pulled the starter rope. To
my surprise, the engine started immediately. Since then, the engine has
started always with the first pull. This marvelous Oil Alert system was the
culprit. I am not saying that the Oil Alert is a bad system, but there
should be a mechanism to verify that the "valid' level detected with the
dipstick is also triggering the Oil Alert. Honda, give me a warning light,
sound, or something to avoid this annoyance - at least fix the manual.

Karcher, please add pressure for Honda to provide a correct manual without
any unnecessary information for this good product.

Cheers, Ollie