Posted to alt.home.repair

Default floor joist support

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12' x
16'
Thanks for any info

Posted to alt.home.repair

thehip wrote:

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12' x
16'
Thanks for any info

Hi,
I don't see any problem there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"thehip" wrote in message

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3

lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china

cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12'

Your municipal or county building permits officer
ought to be able to tell you (at no charge) what the
current building code requires. If you doubt your
judgment whether your house meets the current code,
you would have to pay for a structural survey.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

thehip wrote:
I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12' x
16'
Thanks for any info

Doesn't sound like a problem. A structural
standard for floor joists is 10 pounds per square
foot dead load (means the house itself) and 40
pounds per square foot of live load (means the
stuff you put in the house, not necessarily living
things).
Almost any wood of the dimension you stated would
meet or exceed that standard. Don't know the size
of your center beam but I would suspect that if
the joists meet the regular standard, the beam
would also. A dining room table and a china
cabinet are rather light loads, compared to other
furniture, e.g., 800 pound piano, 500 pounds of
books in a 3 shelf, 4 foot long bookcase.
Realize that the live load of that room could be
7700 pounds nearly 4 tons.

Don't worry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"thehip" wrote in message
I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12'
x 16'
Thanks for any info

If it does not support that weight properly, the house should be condemned.
All that weight can safely be put on one joist, let alone spread out over
four or five of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:02:48 GMT, "thehip"
wrote:

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12' x
16'
Thanks for any info

Ummmmmmmmm..............
Is this table made out of solid steel or what?????

I had a 1200lb horse sneak into my kitchen door one day, and that
floor was made of 2x6's spaced 24" apart. Nothing broke, except my
smile. The horse was made to leave pretty quickly though. I had to
explain to the horse the difference between a house and a barn. I
never feared the joists cracking, but was worried about a hoof going
thru a floor board in that 80 to 90 year old house. The floor was
fine, as was the horse. I was only a little shook up, but laughed my
butt off later on......

I now have a shetand pony that likes to come on my deck, which is 2x6
on 24 framed with standard deck boards. Of course a shetland is maybe
450lbs. Seeing the pony come up the steps is pretty funny....

Yeah, this is a crazy place, but its fun !!!!!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

thehip wrote:

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists spaced 16"
on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center support beam
running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally columns.
My question is how much weight can this type of construction support?

S = bd^2/6 = 1.5x9.25^2/6 = 21.4 in^3, M = fS = 21400 in-lb, and W = 8M/L
= 8x21400/(12x12) = 1188 lb per joist, ie 1188/(12x16/12) = 74 psf for
the joists, which would include the weight of the floor itself.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A 12 foot span normally uses a 2" x 8", not a 2" x 10" which is used up to a
15 foot span. Plus 1930-35 lumber will be probably full 2" x 10" dimension
not the wimpy undersized joist material they sell now. Your floor should be
good for most anything you want to put on it.

"thehip" wrote in message
I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3
lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china
cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12'
x 16'
Thanks for any info

Posted to alt.home.repair

i've got the same setup in my 1964 built house...and we put an olympic
weightbench in my office without thinking twice about the weight
thing... and i've seen pianos on the same style of support.

You'll be fine. The only thing you have to worry about is scratching
the floor. ;-)

Enjoy your new table.