Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default floor joist support

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:02:48 GMT, "thehip"
wrote:

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3 lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12' x
16'
Thanks for any info

Ummmmmmmmm..............
Is this table made out of solid steel or what?????

I had a 1200lb horse sneak into my kitchen door one day, and that
floor was made of 2x6's spaced 24" apart. Nothing broke, except my
smile. The horse was made to leave pretty quickly though. I had to
explain to the horse the difference between a house and a barn. I
never feared the joists cracking, but was worried about a hoof going
thru a floor board in that 80 to 90 year old house. The floor was
fine, as was the horse. I was only a little shook up, but laughed my
butt off later on......

I now have a shetand pony that likes to come on my deck, which is 2x6
on 24 framed with standard deck boards. Of course a shetland is maybe
450lbs. Seeing the pony come up the steps is pretty funny....

Yeah, this is a crazy place, but its fun !!!!!

Mark