Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default floor joist support

A 12 foot span normally uses a 2" x 8", not a 2" x 10" which is used up to a
15 foot span. Plus 1930-35 lumber will be probably full 2" x 10" dimension
not the wimpy undersized joist material they sell now. Your floor should be
good for most anything you want to put on it.

"thehip" wrote in message
I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3
lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china
cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12'
x 16'
Thanks for any info