Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default floor joist support

"thehip" wrote in message

I have a home built around 1930-35. it has 2x10 floor joists
spaced 16" on center. They are 12 feet from foundation wall to center
support beam running length of the house. The center beam sits atop 3

lally
columns. My question is how much weight can this type of construction
support? I am planning on getting a new dining room table and china

cabinet
and I need to know if the floor will support it. Dining room measures 12'

Your municipal or county building permits officer
ought to be able to tell you (at no charge) what the
current building code requires. If you doubt your
judgment whether your house meets the current code,
you would have to pay for a structural survey.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs