Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splitting Series of lights

I currently have 4 lights which are operated by one light switch. From
what I can tell, the light are in a series (that is, they are all on
one circuit). I would like to keep the current light switch to operate
two of the lights and then install another switch to operate the other
2 lights. Is this possible? Can the new installation be part of the
same circuit? How would I go about doing this. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bond wrote:
I currently have 4 lights which are operated by one light switch. From
what I can tell, the light are in a series (that is, they are all on
one circuit). I would like to keep the current light switch to operate
two of the lights and then install another switch to operate the other
2 lights. Is this possible? Can the new installation be part of the
same circuit? How would I go about doing this. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The lights are now on one circuit , it should be possible to leave it
there. The only disadvantage is troubleshooting a short.

it just needs a run of a single wire from the new light switch to the
second run of lights .

I would expect the lights to be in parrallel rather than series.

-----/------------------------------------------L1-----------------------------------------------------------------
switch
|---------------------------L2-----------------------------|

|---------------------------L3-----------------------------|

'---------------------------L4-----------------------------'

But its been a while since I did electrical installs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Bond wrote:
[...]

ok that diagram didnt work , picture l1 , 2 3 4 as lined up vertically ,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the feed is in the switch box, you can run a two wire cable from there to
the two lights you want separated, and disconnect the existing connections
at the fixtures

oups.com...

Tabletop splitting Woodworking 0 April 7th 06 05:27 AM
Tabletop splitting Frank Drackman Woodworking 0 April 5th 06 06:21 PM
Tabletop splitting George Woodworking 1 April 5th 06 05:05 PM
Carrier Performance series vs. Ruud Achiever series home AC? Airkings Home Repair 1 June 20th 05 11:03 PM
Series II head mount to Series I ram? ATP* Metalworking 8 February 27th 05 12:57 AM