Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tabletop splitting

9" is a pretty wide board to begin with and sometimes maple can be a
little brittle; I'm not sure what you mean by "pad sander" but I do't
think normal sanding would produce enough heat fast enough to cause
the cracks you describe. They sound like they are just the kind of
cracks you'd get from using lumber that wasn't dry enough. You
mentioned they were rough cut. Did the mill or lumberyard say what
type of drying they had undergone?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Tabletop splitting Frank Drackman Woodworking 0 April 5th 06 06:21 PM
Tabletop splitting George Woodworking 1 April 5th 06 05:05 PM
Tabletop splitting Leon Woodworking 0 April 5th 06 02:30 PM
Tabletop splitting Mel Graham Woodworking 0 April 5th 06 09:00 AM
Tabletop splitting Ross Hebeisen Woodworking 0 April 5th 06 07:11 AM