Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rough Opening For Sliding Patio Door

The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77 1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

hfother307 wrote:
The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77 1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Chuck

not enough info here to answer. the first question is what exactly is
the rough opening when you remove any finish materials. then, is it a
bearing wall, and is there a header? maybe there is a filler piece
under the header. if it's not structural, you might be able to remove
the trimmer studs. lots of possibilities but we need more info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:26:56 -0600, "hfother307"
wrote:

The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77 1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Chuck

Take a jack stud out on one side.....

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hfother307" wrote in message
news:c6ab673d13a0c0219ef9220bf52f1b0f@homerepairli ve.com...
The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77
1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Chuck

Custom made door. Get on the phone with a few window companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ND ND is offline

"hfother307" wrote in message
The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77
1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Chuck

Chuck,
Not to sound offensive, because you really made my day! I had to clean the
coffee off the monitor!

Now if the opening is too small for what you _want_ to put in, obviously
you have to make the opening bigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hfother307" wrote in message
news:c6ab673d13a0c0219ef9220bf52f1b0f@homerepairli ve.com...
The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77
1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Open up the trim or drywall around the opening, and see what the real rough
opening is. If just drywall, you may gain an inch, if trimmed out you might
barely squeeze buy. Losing the threshold will gain at least half an inch.
The subfloor to header dimension is what you need for the vertical, and the
clear space between the cripple studs is the width. There are ways to cheat
the width.

aem sends...