Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rough Opening For Sliding Patio Door

"hfother307" wrote in message
news:c6ab673d13a0c0219ef9220bf52f1b0f@homerepairli ve.com...
The finished opening right now with the threshold is 69 1/2 Wide and 77
1/2
High. I would like toinstall a sliding patio door here between my three
season porch and the main house to prevent heat loss. I believe that I
need a rough opening of 72 x 80. Any recommendations?

Open up the trim or drywall around the opening, and see what the real rough
opening is. If just drywall, you may gain an inch, if trimmed out you might
barely squeeze buy. Losing the threshold will gain at least half an inch.
The subfloor to header dimension is what you need for the vertical, and the
clear space between the cripple studs is the width. There are ways to cheat
the width.

aem sends...