Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whole house cartridge water filtration systems

I was considering purchasing this product:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...t.A/id.1269/.f

It claims to be a 7 stage filter (kdf, ion exchange resin, carbon,
etc.).

Our house has "slightly under the allowable levels" of lead. For my
comfort level, I would like to reduce it further, but I don't want to
pay a ton of money for a professional quality system.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Do cartridge filters like this reduce lead? Even a 50% reduction would
be enough for me.

Does the price seem too low to be realistic or useful?

- Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Erik 2.0 wrote:
I was considering purchasing this product:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...t.A/id.1269/.f

It claims to be a 7 stage filter (kdf, ion exchange resin, carbon,
etc.).

Our house has "slightly under the allowable levels" of lead. For my
comfort level, I would like to reduce it further, but I don't want to
pay a ton of money for a professional quality system.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Do cartridge filters like this reduce lead? Even a 50% reduction would
be enough for me.

Does the price seem too low to be realistic or useful?

- Erik

Yes.
Of course the gambit could be to 'give away' the hardware and stiff
you for the frequent supplies like the computer printer makers have
done for years. But more importantly, the company publishes no data
showing before and after contaminant levels nor meaningful numbers on
cartridge life. Dealing with a multitude of filters with varying life
cycles and no way to determine when changes are needed doesn't seem
like something that will survive long term usage.
More research is indicated he start with Consumer Reports and Google
lots of articles on water quality. You might even find a substantial
lead reduction by simply replacing your lead-tin soldered copper pipes
with Pex plumbing throughout the house. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik 2.0 wrote:
I was considering purchasing this product:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...t.A/id.1269/.f

It claims to be a 7 stage filter (kdf, ion exchange resin, carbon,
etc.).

Do cartridge filters like this reduce lead? Even a 50% reduction would
be enough for me.

Does the price seem too low to be realistic or useful?

The material says that it does reduce lead. For the price, i think
it is worth a try. the simple whole house filter I installed for my
house cost about 1/3 that price so it sounds about right.

The real cost is in the replacement filters. I have found that the
more effective the filter the more often it has to be replaced
sometimes as often as monthly which can add up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I have a problem with the low price, the amount of water it claims to
process per batch of filters, especially the 1 micron filter which
will/could plug up quickly. I am using 4.5" x 20" filter set, in the
detailed specifications they do not claim to process that much water before
they are spent. The price is way too low.

"Erik 2.0" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was considering purchasing this product:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c...t.A/id.1269/.f

It claims to be a 7 stage filter (kdf, ion exchange resin, carbon,
etc.).

Our house has "slightly under the allowable levels" of lead. For my
comfort level, I would like to reduce it further, but I don't want to
pay a ton of money for a professional quality system.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Do cartridge filters like this reduce lead? Even a 50% reduction would
be enough for me.

Does the price seem too low to be realistic or useful?

- Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only thing in this system that will remove dissolved lead is the ion
exchange stage. If you have relatively hard water, you'll be constantly
replacing the ion exchange stage since it will be depleted by the calcium
and magnesium in the water, especially since you're running all of the water
through it. You also need some way of determining when that stage is
depleted.

I use a reverse osmosis system for drinking/cooking water and icemaker only.
It's also a 7 stage system. Filters have to be replaced about once a year
and the reverse osmosis membrane lasts about three years before needing
replacement. My system includes an ultraviolet light stage to destroy virus
and bacteria. Cost for the system was around $200.00 and that included the
cost of a booster pump, since I'm on a deep well system. So far, I'm
pleased with the system and the water tastes great.

Harry

ups.com...