Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A wierd painting problem

I had professional painter paint my kitchen,he put 2 coats on ceiling and
walls,2 days latter where the ceiling meets the wall it looks like he missed
some spots,so he came back out to look at it,now he says it needs a oil
based primer and one more finish coat,he claims because it hasnt been
painted in 12yrs and the people smoked that lived here before,that the paint
is "bleeding through" or something like that.When he left 2 days ago it
looked fine,I have never heard of this,he used qaulity paint(Sherman
Williams),anybody seen this before? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did he wash the walls, did he use latex over a gloss of perhaps oil, If
no washing or latex was used on dirty grease, and worst being gloss oil
your paint job wont last. Kitchens need complete prep and proper paint
and primer due to cooking depositing oils on the walls. If now he said
its an issue you hired a hack. Did you pay him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Pacc wrote:
I had professional painter paint my kitchen,he put 2 coats on ceiling and
walls,2 days latter where the ceiling meets the wall it looks like he missed
some spots,so he came back out to look at it,now he says it needs a oil
based primer and one more finish coat,he claims because it hasnt been
painted in 12yrs and the people smoked that lived here before,that the paint
is "bleeding through" or something like that.When he left 2 days ago it
looked fine,I have never heard of this,he used qaulity paint(Sherman
Williams),anybody seen this before? thanks

My significant-other paints professionally and she's seen bleed-through
of *something* through the walls a number of times. Cleaning the walls
thoroughly before painting is necessary but isn't always sufficient.
If memory serves, she does use an oil-based primer in such cases----and
THAT isn't always sufficient. Though it usually works if enough coats
are applied.

Kitchens are often a problem area for painters because the oil mist
generated during years of cooking soaks into the walls.

Good luck! -- Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

My significant-other paints professionally and she's seen bleed-through
of *something* through the walls a number of times. Cleaning the walls
thoroughly before painting is necessary but isn't always sufficient.
If memory serves, she does use an oil-based primer in such cases----and
THAT isn't always sufficient. Though it usually works if enough coats
are applied.

Oil based primer is not necessarily the solution. By "primer", I assume you
mean a stain blocker. You have to know what you're trying to block
(assuming it can't just be washed off first.) As a general rule, use oil
based primers for water based stains, and water based primers for oil based
stains (for fairly obvious reasons - oil and water don't mix and therefore
can't bleed through.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abe" wrote in message
The painter needed to clean the walls first, then use Kilz primer to
trap whatever was left.

The brand is not important, the function and type is important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:

Oil based primer is not necessarily the solution. By "primer", I assume you
mean a stain blocker. You have to know what you're trying to block
(assuming it can't just be washed off first.) As a general rule, use oil
based primers for water based stains, and water based primers for oil based
stains (for fairly obvious reasons - oil and water don't mix and therefore
can't bleed through.)

We should clarify that not all primers are stain blockers - that's not
clear from your post. Knotholes will bleed through either oil or latex
paint or primer. Either oil or latex stain blocking primer will seal
the stain, some better than others, but shellac-based stain blocking
primers work best. You can also use straight shellac prior to regular
primer.

In the OP's situation insufficient preparation is assuredly the
problem. Kitchens, as others have noted, are problem areas to paint.
Years of grease buildup can take a lot of work to remove, and what
looks clean enough after an initial cleaning isn't necessarily clean
enough to paint.