Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] prfesser@hotmail.com is offline

Default A wierd painting problem

Tony Pacc wrote:
I had professional painter paint my kitchen,he put 2 coats on ceiling and
walls,2 days latter where the ceiling meets the wall it looks like he missed
some spots,so he came back out to look at it,now he says it needs a oil
based primer and one more finish coat,he claims because it hasnt been
painted in 12yrs and the people smoked that lived here before,that the paint
is "bleeding through" or something like that.When he left 2 days ago it
looked fine,I have never heard of this,he used qaulity paint(Sherman
Williams),anybody seen this before? thanks

My significant-other paints professionally and she's seen bleed-through
of *something* through the walls a number of times. Cleaning the walls
thoroughly before painting is necessary but isn't always sufficient.
If memory serves, she does use an oil-based primer in such cases----and
THAT isn't always sufficient. Though it usually works if enough coats
are applied.

Kitchens are often a problem area for painters because the oil mist
generated during years of cooking soaks into the walls.

Good luck! -- Terry