Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radiator Stop-Leak in 4.6L ?

'94 TBird LX V8, 64k mi.

Rad. started leaking a little last winter, only when temp was
below, say, 30 F.

Rad. is aluminum finned unit in middle, evidently plastic tank
on each end. I'm told that the connection from tank to finned
unit fails to seal as the years go by. Tracing the location of
the leak seems to confirm.

I can't afford new radiator, hoses, etc, and it's generally too
damned cold to work on it anyway.

I have an 11 oz. jug of Bars Leaks Stop Leak (Original Pelletized
Formula) that I bought last year and was afraid to use ...

What'll this stuff do to my cooling etc system(s)? Maybe gum-up
my heater core?

Would you use this or other rad. additive?

Thx,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Puddin' Man wrote:
'94 TBird LX V8, 64k mi.

Rad. started leaking a little last winter, only when temp was
below, say, 30 F.

Rad. is aluminum finned unit in middle, evidently plastic tank
on each end. I'm told that the connection from tank to finned
unit fails to seal as the years go by. Tracing the location of
the leak seems to confirm.

Would you use this or other rad. additive?

No, I wouldn't although some folks do.

A good radiator shop can repair the plastic tank welds to the core
unless the tanks are really bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Nov 2006 11:17:03 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
'94 TBird LX V8, 64k mi.

Rad. started leaking a little last winter, only when temp was
below, say, 30 F.

Rad. is aluminum finned unit in middle, evidently plastic tank
on each end. I'm told that the connection from tank to finned
unit fails to seal as the years go by. Tracing the location of
the leak seems to confirm.

Would you use this or other rad. additive?

No, I wouldn't although some folks do.

A good radiator shop can repair the plastic tank welds to the core
unless the tanks are really bad.

Welds? Between plastic and aluminum? Not at all sure I follow.

I assumed there was just (timed to fail) seals at the
connections.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

[...]

Maybe gum-up my heater core?

It's been known to happen...many many times. That's how you know to even
ask this!

....and it's generally too damned cold to work on it anyway.

And consider IF the heater core does clog up how much fun it is driving
when it's always cold on the interior. Don't cha hate when it's so damn
cold your breath ices up the inside of the winshield and you have to drive
with the windows open even???!!!

And what if it clogs the heater core but doesn't fix the rad leak!

Ya see, there's this guy Murphy that I know.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Damn cold?(Damn cold is when temp reaches down to -35) Result of
neglect? When is the last time you flushed and refilled the rad? Jug of
Bar Leaks to plug the rad/heater core up and make things worse? Do a
proper repair or replace the damn rad. and get it over with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news597h.321904$1T2.101390
@pd7urf2no:

Puddin' Man wrote:

[...]

Been down that road. When starting that old GM pickup there were noises
only heard in those demon/possessed movies. Along with the sound of a
case of spray paint cans banging around under the hood. Good thing it was
fuel injected. Could not touch gas pedal for 5 min or so or it would
stick open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Barr's might get you through the winter. Yes, it can plug up
the radiator and the heater core.

I had mine reworked this past summer. $65.00 rodded out the tubes
and reset the plastic tanks. I took the radiator out and carried
it to the radiator shop.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

alot of aftermarket new rads are 100.00 . ive used bars and never
clogged the heater core. an old chevy mechanic i know uses a few spoons
of pepper to seal leaks. i used i once in my mgb while on the road and
pepper worked. but with an old rad, anew one is best. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:07:14 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

The Barr's might get you through the winter. Yes, it can plug up
the radiator and the heater core.

I had mine reworked this past summer. $65.00 rodded out the tubes
and reset the plastic tanks. I took the radiator out and carried
it to the radiator shop.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

Greetings,

Can you describe "rodded out the tubes"?
You got to see the faulty connection between
tank(s) and alum. core? Can describe?

If I knew exactly what I was dealing with, I
might be able to figger what to do (I can
raise $65, not $500).

Right now it's kinda like "Is it Animal,
Vegetable, or Mineral???". :-)

Thx,
Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you look carefully at your radiator, I think you will see the
plastic ends with bent over "tabs" holding it to the core section.
The fella that did mine took off both plastic ends and shoved a
very thin metal "strap" down through the fin tubes to get the crud
out. He then vatted and flushed the tubes and reinstalled the
plastic ends, I'm not sure what they do for gasket/sealant.

Call a radiator repair shop in your area and ask. A radiator is
fairly easy to remove on most vehicles. Top radiator hose, bottom
radiator hose, transmission in, and transmission out are usually
the only connections. YMMV. I'm sure they would charge more to
do the remove and replace.
___________________________

wrote:

[...]

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:41:57 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

If you look carefully at your radiator, I think you will see the
plastic ends with bent over "tabs" holding it to the core section.
The fella that did mine took off both plastic ends and shoved a
very thin metal "strap" down through the fin tubes to get the crud
out. He then vatted and flushed the tubes and reinstalled the
plastic ends, I'm not sure what they do for gasket/sealant.

Was it a Ford 4.6L? Other?

You had a flow problem? A leak problem? Both?

To my knowledge I just gotta leak. But, come to think of
it, it takes kinda long for the heater to warm up ...

Call a radiator repair shop in your area and ask. A radiator is
fairly easy to remove on most vehicles. Top radiator hose, bottom
radiator hose, transmission in, and transmission out are usually
the only connections. YMMV. I'm sure they would charge more to
do the remove and replace.

Yeah, I should be able to get it out, save a $. If we get a
warm-up day or 2.

I'll ring the shop that wrote me the $500 estimate. Be
interesting to see if they do such 'detail' work.

Much Thanks,
Puddin'

.. .

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

Would you use this or other rad. additive?

Thx,
Puddin'

No, and you won't believe how cheaply built the radiator is. The first
time I replaced a radiator of that vintage I had to look in the
replacement radiator box to see if there was something in it. When I
removed the old radiator a light wind could have blown it away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:28:56 -0500, George
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

Would you use this or other rad. additive?

Thx,
Puddin'

No, and you won't believe how cheaply built the radiator is.

Yeah, I would ...

The first
time I replaced a radiator of that vintage I had to look in the
replacement radiator box to see if there was something in it. When I
removed the old radiator a light wind could have blown it away.

I looked it over as carefully as possible w/o disassembling.
You'd think if they were gonna use cheapo components that
do not mate well (plastic, alum.), they'd at least put
a truly good seal in where they are joined.

Anybody know where I could get an exploded view of
the plastic, alum. parts (not present in my Ford
repair CD)??

Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...

possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM
water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM