Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting NM cable underground in conduit

Just wondering if it is legal to the code to put NM romex cable
underground when it's inside of plastic conduit. I was going to run
individual strands of wire but found it was cheaper to use the ronex
and just shove the romex thru which eliminates several connections
too. I know it will physically work, but I am not sure what the code
says. The conduit is glued and brought above the ground level so it
wont fill with water. This is 12-3 w/gnd NM feeding a shed with two
120V 20A circuits

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It is illegal. The reason is that the conductors in NM are not made for wet
locations and any underground conduit is considered a wet location, with I
think a few exceptions like maybe deserts. Despite the fact that the
sections are glued, I've never opened an underground pipe that wasn't wet

wrote in message
Just wondering if it is legal to the code to put NM romex cable
underground when it's inside of plastic conduit. I was going to run
individual strands of wire but found it was cheaper to use the ronex
and just shove the romex thru which eliminates several connections
too. I know it will physically work, but I am not sure what the code
says. The conduit is glued and brought above the ground level so it
wont fill with water. This is 12-3 w/gnd NM feeding a shed with two
120V 20A circuits

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark;

In Virginia, it is legal. But you vave to run it through the Grey
Schedule 80 Electrical PVC. It also has to be burried below the frost
line. You have to have the inspector come out and verify the PVC, Depth
and Connections before you cover it up. You should call your city codes
department and take their advise over this newsgroup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not dump the NM cable and conduit and go with UF cable and direct
burial?
I just ran one 15A circuit out to my backyard shed, and that's what I did,

wrote in message
Just wondering if it is legal to the code to put NM romex cable
underground when it's inside of plastic conduit. I was going to run
individual strands of wire but found it was cheaper to use the ronex
and just shove the romex thru which eliminates several connections
too. I know it will physically work, but I am not sure what the code
says. The conduit is glued and brought above the ground level so it
wont fill with water. This is 12-3 w/gnd NM feeding a shed with two
120V 20A circuits

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:33:40 -0600, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

Why not dump the NM cable and conduit and go with UF cable and direct
burial?
I just ran one 15A circuit out to my backyard shed, and that's what I did,

The conduit is almost a requirement on this farm. This whole place is
covered with those damn moles. I dont know if they chew wire or not
but they sure are annoying. Maybe I will run UF cable inside the gray
PVC though. Out here in the boonies, no one really inspects much of
anything but I'd rather have it legal anyhow.

Thanks

Mark

.. .

Cable Conduit [email protected] UK diy 8 June 19th 06 07:34 AM
Burial cable vs normal cable in conduit gk Home Repair 1 September 28th 05 11:41 AM
What underground telephone cable to use when stringing from pole to house Avery Home Repair 11 January 24th 05 01:09 PM
What underground telephone cable to use when stringing from pole to house Avery Home Ownership 10 January 24th 05 07:32 AM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM