Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Conduit

I'm rewiring some security lights and PIRs and am thinking of putting
in cable conduit to make it tidy. I've been browsing the Screwfix
catalogue and I am considering using their 20mm conduit, three way
tee-boxes ( containing terminal blocks) for exit of cable from
conduit, inspection elbows etc.

How would I seal the end of the conduit where cable exits to make it
weather proof - can you get grommets which will seal the end and allow
cable exit - I can't see any.

When you join the conduit using couplers or tee-boxes what do you seal
joints with?

What do you use the Screwfix Adaptors(D13910-79) for - to what do
they screw?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

I'm rewiring some security lights and PIRs and am thinking of putting
in cable conduit to make it tidy. I've been browsing the Screwfix

Tis what I did with mine....

catalogue and I am considering using their 20mm conduit, three way
tee-boxes ( containing terminal blocks) for exit of cable from
conduit, inspection elbows etc.

Ah, the trick is (if possible) not have the wire ever exit the conduit.
So the conduit runs right upto and fixes to the equipment (i.e. light /
PIR etc)

How would I seal the end of the conduit where cable exits to make it
weather proof - can you get grommets which will seal the end and allow
cable exit - I can't see any.

You would ideally need some form of gland. If you wanted a home made
solution then a combination of keeping the exit point inverted (so the
cable comes out downwards) and sealing with silicone ought to do it.

When you join the conduit using couplers or tee-boxes what do you seal
joints with?

Glue it together with solvent cement like you would plastic waste pipe
fittings. That way the whole lot is welded together.

What do you use the Screwfix Adaptors(D13910-79) for - to what do
they screw?

These fit into the 20mm knockout that is provided in many electrical
accessories. A small 20mm hole saw is very handy for opening suitable
connection holes in the fittings (even if they were not designed woth a
knockout!)

If you click on the "enlarge picture" link for this:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2741&ts=98108#

You can just about see the knockout position at the top of the picture.
You take out the blanking plug, and fit the terminating fitting into the
hole and tighten it up. This leaves a nice 20mm female stub to stick
your conduit end into.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 03:39:24 +0100, John Rumm
wrote an excellent response to
's query on Cable Conduit:

You sir, are a gentleman - many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:33:12 GMT, Lobster

I'm rewiring some security lights and PIRs and am thinking of putting
in cable conduit to make it tidy. I've been browsing the Screwfix
catalogue and I am considering using their 20mm conduit, three way
tee-boxes ( containing terminal blocks) for exit of cable from
conduit, inspection elbows etc.

How would I seal the end of the conduit where cable exits to make it
weather proof - can you get grommets which will seal the end and allow
cable exit - I can't see any.

When you join the conduit using couplers or tee-boxes what do you seal
joints with?

What do you use the Screwfix Adaptors(D13910-79) for - to what do
they screw?

Forgive me if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs, but you do know this
stuff is intended for use with single-core cables,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A331784&ts=54958
You'd have great difficulty using it with conventional PVC insulated
twin-core and earth?

David

Spot on - I was intending to use it with conventional PVC insulated
t&e - what is the problem - tight fit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

On the subject of conduit.... what is the recommendation / regs regarding
conduit for outside lights ?

The conduit would all be above ground by about a foot or two and largely in
view, so no risk from spades / digging, and probably too big for the jaws of
a hedgetrimmer - I would prefer to use plastic as it won't rust / need
painting and can't "become live" if there was such a fault... but what are
the ins and outs / regs stipulate ?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:24:15 GMT someone who may be "Nick"
wrote this:-

On the subject of conduit.... what is the recommendation / regs regarding
conduit for outside lights ?

The conduit would all be above ground by about a foot or two and largely in
view

Don't attach it to a fence.

Make it waterproof, but so that any water can drain out at the
lowest point(s).

Consider the effects of flora, fauna and sunlight.

Ensure cables can be drawn in properly.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh