Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ CJ is offline

Default I have a leak from my electric water heater

My 80 gallon electric water heater leaks and I have not been able to
see from where. I ran the hot water and then looked for the leak with
no luck. It may be from the bottom whereas the wooden platform is wet.

Is there a way to test the valves, would they leak all the time when
cold?

Is the bottom of the tank a common place where the tank will leak in
these water heaters?

How can I identify where the leak is coming from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 80 gallon electric water heater leaks and I have not been able to
see from where. I ran the hot water and then looked for the leak with
no luck. It may be from the bottom whereas the wooden platform is wet.

Is the bottom of the tank a common place where the tank will leak in
these water heaters?

Yes. When they come to the end of their life, it is common for them to
start leaking through the bottom where they tend to rust out. Unless this
only a year or two old (and maybe leaking somewhere else), I would replace
ASAP, before the weak spot bursts and your house or basement is flooded.
While, here in Illinois, it is common to get 15 to 20 years out of a water
heater, in Arizona, where I lived for a while, 7 years was more the average.
And I heard many stories of people coming home from a weekend trip to find
water running out under the garage or front door from a burst water heater.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJ wrote:

My 80 gallon electric water heater leaks and I have not been able to
see from where. I ran the hot water and then looked for the leak with
no luck. It may be from the bottom whereas the wooden platform is wet.

Is there a way to test the valves, would they leak all the time when
cold?

Is the bottom of the tank a common place where the tank will leak in
these water heaters?

How can I identify where the leak is coming from?

While gas heaters often corrode thru the bottom, it is less
likely on an electric model, esp if it is less than ~10 yrs old.

Turn the power off and then pull the inspection covers to look
for evidence. Also inspect VERY closely around the drain valve.
Some mfr's began using plastic valves which were known to
crack and leak.

IOW, check everything before assuming the tank is leaking.

Jim