Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default I have a leak from my electric water heater

CJ wrote:

My 80 gallon electric water heater leaks and I have not been able to
see from where. I ran the hot water and then looked for the leak with
no luck. It may be from the bottom whereas the wooden platform is wet.

Is there a way to test the valves, would they leak all the time when
cold?

Is the bottom of the tank a common place where the tank will leak in
these water heaters?

How can I identify where the leak is coming from?

While gas heaters often corrode thru the bottom, it is less
likely on an electric model, esp if it is less than ~10 yrs old.

Turn the power off and then pull the inspection covers to look
for evidence. Also inspect VERY closely around the drain valve.
Some mfr's began using plastic valves which were known to
crack and leak.

IOW, check everything before assuming the tank is leaking.

Jim