Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default I have a leak from my electric water heater

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 80 gallon electric water heater leaks and I have not been able to
see from where. I ran the hot water and then looked for the leak with
no luck. It may be from the bottom whereas the wooden platform is wet.

Is the bottom of the tank a common place where the tank will leak in
these water heaters?

Yes. When they come to the end of their life, it is common for them to
start leaking through the bottom where they tend to rust out. Unless this
only a year or two old (and maybe leaking somewhere else), I would replace
ASAP, before the weak spot bursts and your house or basement is flooded.
While, here in Illinois, it is common to get 15 to 20 years out of a water
heater, in Arizona, where I lived for a while, 7 years was more the average.
And I heard many stories of people coming home from a weekend trip to find
water running out under the garage or front door from a burst water heater.

Tom G.