Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Enclosed Hot Water vent?

I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the
propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling.
With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch.
Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the
vent pipe in the corner?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

This is a new house and they did not enclose the water heater vent. Where
did you buy it, at Wal-Mart? Yes, you can enclose it, the builder should
have enclosed it not leave it exposed in a corner. What other corners did
your builder cut, I would take a close look before your warranty runs out,
if you have one.

"ronney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the
propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling.
With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch.
Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the
vent pipe in the corner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess I should have clarified. This house is new to me. It is 6 years
old and this is a converted attic addition.

On Nov 15, 11:59 am, "EXT" wrote:
This is a new house and they did not enclose the water heater vent. Where
did you buy it, at Wal-Mart? Yes, you can enclose it, the builder should
have enclosed it not leave it exposed in a corner. What other corners did
your builder cut, I would take a close look before your warranty runs out,
if you have one.

"ronney" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the
propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling.
With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch.
Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the
vent pipe in the corner?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ronney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the
propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling.
With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch.
Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the
vent pipe in the corner?

Since it doesn't get hot to touch it is reasonable to assume it is B type
pipe. You can enclose as long as you leave at least 1" clearance between the
pipe and any combustible materials

Posted to alt.home.repair

ronney wrote:
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room the
propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the ceiling.
With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot to touch.
Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other words box the
vent pipe in the corner?

Check with your local code enforcement office and get all the straight
skinny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jolt wrote:
"ronney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room
the propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the
ceiling. With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot
to touch. Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other
words box the vent pipe in the corner?

Since it doesn't get hot to touch it is reasonable to assume it is B
type pipe. You can enclose as long as you leave at least 1" clearance
between the pipe and any combustible materials

And where does that 1" spec come from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pop`" wrote in message
jolt wrote:
"ronney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room
the propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the
ceiling. With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot
to touch. Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other
words box the vent pipe in the corner?

Since it doesn't get hot to touch it is reasonable to assume it is B
type pipe. You can enclose as long as you leave at least 1" clearance
between the pipe and any combustible materials

And where does that 1" spec come from?

National Fuel Gas Code NFPA 54 ANSI Z223.1
1" Minimum clearance to combustibles for 3" to 24" diameters B type pipe

As long as it's used on an appliance that is rated for B type pipe use.

The pipe that is in place should be checked to assure it's B type pipe and
that it is UL Listed 441

For an idea of installation procedures
http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/insta...eb/SA04020.pdf