Posted to alt.home.repair
jolt jolt is offline

Default Enclosed Hot Water vent?

"Pop`" wrote in message
news:7DN6h.6207$dh7.1867@trnddc01...
jolt wrote:
"ronney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently moved into a new house. Upstairs in a coner of the room
the propane ho****er vent runs through the floor up through the
ceiling. With the ho****er heater running the pipe never gets to hot
to touch. Can I enclose the pipe with a couple of 1x8s in other
words box the vent pipe in the corner?

Since it doesn't get hot to touch it is reasonable to assume it is B
type pipe. You can enclose as long as you leave at least 1" clearance
between the pipe and any combustible materials

And where does that 1" spec come from?

National Fuel Gas Code NFPA 54 ANSI Z223.1
1" Minimum clearance to combustibles for 3" to 24" diameters B type pipe

As long as it's used on an appliance that is rated for B type pipe use.

The pipe that is in place should be checked to assure it's B type pipe and
that it is UL Listed 441

For an idea of installation procedures
http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/insta...eb/SA04020.pdf