Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 8' T8 fluorescent fixture

Who sells these? I have been racking my brain on this one. I am
looking for an 8' 2 bulb (not 2- 4' 2 bulbs ganged together but one
long 8' 2 bulb) T8 fixtures for my barn. I have called all the local
area Home Depots and Loews as well as several electrical supply
companies and no one seems to have these, plus none seem to think they
even make them. I also called 2 local electricians and both called
their supplier that said the same thing. The odd thing is almost any
Home Depot or Loews I talk to have the bulbs in stock but not the
fixtures.

The really weird thing is I cannot find them online either. The only
place that has them is goodmart.com, but they have a 14 day ship time.
I have not called, but they are probably backordered everything else
ships out in 1 day.

Is it just me why does everyone seem to stock bulbs for a fixture that
no one can buy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

4-footers might be more economical, better light distribution w/ less watts,
can put them on various kinds of switches (incl individual pull chains) for
more lighting control.
I've learned not mess with anything that's "rare".

But if you want, there is a fluorescent guy by me who makes fixtures from
scratch, to order.
Sparkle Lighting, Yonkers, NY.
I've bought a bunch of fixtures from him, 'til I discovered the $6-7 4-ft
T8's at HD.
Number should be on yellowpages.com or sumpn. If not, email me.
Also has T8 bulbs 33% cheaper than g-d HD. $2 vs. $3.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

I bought mine at Lowes a year ago. They were rated for cold and cost $45
each or so.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Nov 2006 15:47:00 -0800, wrote:

Who sells these? I have been racking my brain on this one. I am
looking for an 8' 2 bulb (not 2- 4' 2 bulbs ganged together but one
long 8' 2 bulb) T8 fixtures for my barn.

http://tinyurl.com/u3qnu
http://tinyurl.com/uwwjv

Also, any True Value hardware store can order them:
8', Metalux 2 Lamp Fluorescent Strip, 120V, Electronic Ballast, Uses 2F96T8
Lamps, Not Included, Baked White Enamel, UL Listed, IBEW Labeled.
MFR. COOPER LIGHTING
Ask for True Value #822687 (will be replaced by #725624).
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't know where you live, but any manufacturer of fluorescent lighting
will make them. These are often small local companies like procto...
describes, in fact just a few miles from where Sparkle light is in Yonkers,
NY is another manufacturer called Apollo lighting in Mt. Vernon, NY, and I'm
sure there are hundreds of others across the country. The only difference
between an eight foot T12 and T8 fixture is the ballast transformer, which
you could install yourself if you were so inclined

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

4-footers might be more economical, better light distribution w/ less watts,
can put them on various kinds of switches (incl individual pull chains) for
more lighting control.

I couldn't agree more, there is a reason 4' bulbs are cheaper, the
very same reason parts for a small block Chevy are cheaper. I won't use
anything else unless there just isn't room enough for a 4' even 2'
bulbs are more expensive which always made me wonder about burger King.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone for you quick input. I think I will go with the ganged
4 footers, I don't like the "rare" concept either. I am not overly
concerned with electrical expense, I mainly wanted to future proof the
install by going with the T8's since IMHO the T12's will probably phase
out over time. I was just looking for the least amount of bulbs since
this is going in a 40X50 shop with 16' celings. It is going to be a
pain to change the bulbs so the 4 footers are twice the number of bulbs
to burn out. But I also don't want to have to get online and special
order some 8' bulb because no one stocks them anymore. 4 footers seem
to be the sure one that will stick around the longest so that is what I
will do.

Thanks Again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Again, why even gang the 4 footers?
W/ 16 foot ceilings, you will certainly want to hang these on chains, and at
*various* heights: higher perhaps, for "general" areas (walkways, etc), and
lower over specific machines.
Of course, some place can use 8' worth of bulbs, sometimes even 4 bulb 8'
fixtures--iffin you want a tan.

I notice, for example, in NYC subways and other places, they will put a
continuous row of fluorescnets, for 600, 700, 800 linear feet! They could
have put in literally 1/3 to 1/2 the number of fixtures in that line, and
still have had adequate lighting.
Ditto the 4 bulb 2 ft x 4ft fixtures for hung ceilings. Just one after the
other....
My eyes ain't even all that good, and this stuff is too much for *me*....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

ups.com...