Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Info on vintage recessed wall heater?

Hi there,

My apartment complex was built in the late 50's, and has for the most
part the original appliances in each unit. (They're actually quite
charming. Push-button electric ranges!) My question concerns the
natural gas heater that I've got.

The model is a "Custom-Aire vented recessed wall heater" that is
installed in the wall between a room and a hallway. It uses natural
gas, and the pilot and ignition work fine. The problem as I see it
seems to be that it may have had a fan or blower attached at some
point, and if so it isn't working any more. Signs pointing to this are
the fact that the wall above the heater on one side seems to creak when
the heater goes on, and there's a crack in the plaster where the wall
gets *very* warm. I think if there was a blower or something, the air
would be circulating fast enough to prevent this, though I could be
wrong.

At this point, anything within the upper metal grills/housing is a
mystery. I got the bottom grill panel off and looked inside the bottom
half of the heater, but I don't have a clue as to what some of the
stuff does. There's an obvious gas pipe with a valve, the pilot pipe
with a separate valve, two large cones that I'm guessing are for
adjusting the air/gas mixture, wires leading to the thermostat (which
seems to be only half-functioning, but that's another story entirely)
and a black sort of brick with wires going to it. Does anyone have any
ideas on what's normal to see in a heater of this age? Diagrams would
be especially helpful.

Thanks!
-Laura

Posted to alt.home.repair

turn unit off. get repaired.
maybe high limit sensor not working? if it is electrical it may be
connected to the heat exchanger in the upper area. if it is a millivolt
heater it may be a long copper capillary bulb that connects to the gas
valve.
blower may be optional?
also check your carbon monoxide alarm it will sometimes tell you when
the heat exchanger is cracked.

Laura R wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm surprised the unit fires up without the blower ( if there is
supposed to be one) because most of those vented wall funaces have a
sail switch that senses if the the blower is running. If it senses the
blower is not running, it will never fire up, unless someone bypassed
the switch.
I agree with the other poster, have a qualified tech look at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Laura R wrote:
Hi there,

My apartment complex was built in the late 50's, and has for the most
part the original appliances in each unit. (They're actually quite
charming. Push-button electric ranges!) My question concerns the
natural gas heater that I've got.

Since you are in apartment you might be able to inspect the heater of
another resident to see it there is any difference. I doubt if there is
a blower unit on your heater. I agree with the other poster that the
unit should be checked. Call the landlord and tell him you are worried
about the heater. Ask him if there is supposed to be a blower or if
the wall should be so hot. Heaters have improved a lot over the years.
You might be able to get a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Laura R, City Planner wrote:
rubin.laurad wrote:

[...]

Hi, I am a City Planner and am looking for one of these late 40's thru
50's direct vent gas wall heaters for an historical road-motel renovation.
The appliance does not need to be in working order. If anyone of you were
to replace this item, I would like to have them, please post a reply here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Laura,

I agree about checking another unit, preferably one with the same floor plan, maybe one directly below or above your unit. Is it a condo, or do you rent the unit? If rental,turn the investigation over to the super or the owner. If a condo, do as suggested and report back here, we are a fairly friendly group, especially if someone has a legitimate concern like you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
a p a p is offline

replying to City Planner, a p wrote:
I am replacing a custom aire wall heater because it sets off the carbon
monoxide sensor Let me know if you are still looking for one

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-165075-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.suicide.methods,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 1:58:23 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

There's nothing like reaching down the front of a man's trousers and
grabbing a'hold of a firm colostomy bag.

oh that's what you were doing