Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall boxes for sconces

I was in the process of mounting the boxes for sconce lights and I noticed
that the boxes are rather imprecise and difficult to mount. I'm reasonably
sure I didn't have cheap boxes and when I looked around I only found them in
this style, or some facimile thereof.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...20H&lpage=none

That's a good estimate of what I figured would work. NOPE, the nails are
difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to
position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even
lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer non-metallic,
as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to the
tasks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I installed a wall lighting fixture I used the rectangular "J-box"
usually used for outlets and switches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You can use bar boxes, which are more easily adjustable

You're talking about those fan-stabilizer bar boxes. I wasn't sure if those
would fit a normal wall stud spacing or not

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I was in the process of mounting the boxes for sconce lights and I noticed
that the boxes are rather imprecise and difficult to mount. I'm
reasonably sure I didn't have cheap boxes and when I looked around I only
found them in this style, or some facimile thereof.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...20H&lpage=none

That's a good estimate of what I figured would work. NOPE, the nails are
difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to
position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even
lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer
non-metallic, as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job,
but it adds to the tasks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
When I installed a wall lighting fixture I used the rectangular "J-box"
usually used for outlets and switches.

Those don't have screws holes for the mounting plate though(???)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:13:43 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I was in the process of mounting the boxes for sconce lights and I noticed
that the boxes are rather imprecise and difficult to mount. I'm reasonably
sure I didn't have cheap boxes and when I looked around I only found them in
this style, or some facimile thereof.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...20H&lpage=none

That's a good estimate of what I figured would work. NOPE, the nails are
difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to
position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even
lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer non-metallic,
as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to the
tasks.

See if you can find these at a local electrical distributor:

http://www.smartboxinc.com/

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

No, I'm referring to standard fixture mounting bar boxes. They're made for
16 and 24 inch openings

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those don't have screws holes for the mounting plate though(???)

Seemed to me that the "mounting plate" (actually a steel strip about 3/4"
wide) had holes or slots to mount on the J-box. The mounting arrangements
for light fixtures are pretty flexible. There are TWO common sizes of
round boxes, for example. If you already have the fixture in hand you can
quickly check whether a J-box screw spacing is OK. If you don't have a
J-box lying about, just take the cover plate off anyout and measure the
screw spacing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PV PV is offline

wrote:

[...]

Those look pretty slick, can't find a distributor in Canada though, pity.

PV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...20H&lpage=none

The nails are
difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to
position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even
lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer non-metallic,
as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to the
tasks.

Ev:

I like steel boxes, and would use a 4" octagon with a TS bracket, but
that's another
story.

The regular Carlon boxes can certainly be used, but perhaps a more
rigid
plastic box like the Carlon Super Blue would deform less and hold its
position better:

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbu...es&img=59&tn=1

I have used the device boxes in this line. They are very nice (for
plastic boxes).
I'm just a material bigot, it seems.

To help your box position properly, try cutting a small square of your
drywall, then holding
it against the stud, and holding the box flush with that.

Tap both nails in a bit before driving either one all the way home.

I assume that this is all new work.

Cordially yours:
G P

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Well I went with the wall brace style. They seem to hold fine and having
two locations to mount helps me keep it level.

Building loose rock wall along a slope Matt Home Repair 6 May 2nd 06 11:50 PM
Raising shed walls/trusses keyridge Woodworking 12 July 8th 05 12:54 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Ownership 25 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Sizing electrical wall boxes. volts500 Home Repair 4 July 5th 03 06:13 PM