Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Wall boxes for sconces

wrote in message
oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...20H&lpage=none

The nails are
difficult to drive in because they go in at an angle, the box is tough to
position properly because there is no markings on it, and it doesn't even
lay flat against the stud.

Are there better choices for mounting sconces? I would prefer
non-metallic,
as then it would have to be grounded as well. Small job, but it adds to
the
tasks.

Ev:

I like steel boxes, and would use a 4" octagon with a TS bracket, but
that's another
story.

The regular Carlon boxes can certainly be used, but perhaps a more
rigid
plastic box like the Carlon Super Blue would deform less and hold its
position better:

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbu...es&img=59&tn=1

I have used the device boxes in this line. They are very nice (for
plastic boxes).
I'm just a material bigot, it seems.

To help your box position properly, try cutting a small square of your
drywall, then holding
it against the stud, and holding the box flush with that.

Tap both nails in a bit before driving either one all the way home.

I assume that this is all new work.

Cordially yours:
G P

Well I went with the wall brace style. They seem to hold fine and having
two locations to mount helps me keep it level.