Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faulty water meter?

Last week, when I got my water bill, it was a whopping $185.00. On checking
my water meter, it was spinning at the rate of about 3 gallons per minute.
I checked for anything leaking in the house and didn't find anything. The
same for the outside faucets. There's no evidence of water leaks outside,
no damp spots, etc.

My plumber came out and checked everything, but couldn't come up with
anything. I called the city water folks and one of them came out and looked
all around, even using a listening device they have. He couldn't find
anything, either, although he said the sounds were louder on the end of the
house where the septic tank and an outside faucet are located.

I haven't been able to locate the valve next to the house that turns off all
of the water, so I went home after the city water guy left, determined to
dig up my yard if needed. I went to turn off the water so we wouldn't waste
any more, and found that the meter was no longer running! I couldn't
believe it.

I called the city guy and told him that the meter had stopped, and he could
hardly believe it. We both know a leak doesn't plug itself. He had no
suggestions. I was just grateful that it had stopped.

I kept an eye on the meter for a couple of hours and it didn't budge.
However, a few hours later, just before I went to bed, I decided to check it
again and, sure enough, it was running again for no reason.

Any suggestions or analysis would be appreciated.

David Alexander

Posted to alt.home.repair

DAVID ALEXANDER wrote:
[...]

If it's a traditional mechanical water meter, my strong suspicion would
be that the water is in fact going somewhere. These are driven only
by mechanical movement caused by water flow. They could be
inaccurate, but I can't see how you could get wheels spinning without
water going by. If it's an electronic one, then it's at least
theoretically possible for the electronics to go nuts and show water
usage when none is occurring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DAVID ALEXANDER" wrote in message
[...]

Was a neighbor watering his lawn at the same time? Do you
have a sprinkler system?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:22:30 -0600, "DAVID ALEXANDER"
wrote:

[...]

Water-treatement with a screwed up timer? Or something
backwashing a filter? You have shut-offs inside the house,
right? STart turning them off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look at your toilets, flappers leak, if you have the valve type they go
bad, you could put dye in the tank and see if the bowl changes color, or
just turn off your toilet valve and see if it stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What the others said.
Unless there is a hidden leak in a wall, or underground, you should be able
to find some cause.
Unlikely that an underground/in the wall leak would start and stop, altho it
is possible.
I have a bunch of individual line shutoff valves, you could mebbe narrow the
problem that way.
Be careful of the hot water heater, tho, as I don't know if they are
water-level protected.
Most times it seems you can hear water flow. HF, auto stores have
"mechanics' stethoscopes", real cheap, that might help you in your own
sleuthing.
A real mystery!
Post back w/ the resolution!
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any of your neighbors do any excavating lately? Road crew on your
street? Etc?
The fact that it stopped and then started makes me suspicious that you
may have been "mistakenly" tapped or something. Let us know what you
find out!

Glenn
http://www.goalelectrical.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, if the meter is IN his house, a neighbor woulda had to have
tapped into proly a real skinny line coming FROM his house--hose line
spigot, etc.
Had they tapped into the feed INTO his house, this would be *before* the
meter and would not register.

Weird, any way you look at it.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"galacon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any of your neighbors do any excavating lately? Road crew on your
street? Etc?
The fact that it stopped and then started makes me suspicious that you
may have been "mistakenly" tapped or something. Let us know what you
find out!

Glenn
http://www.goalelectrical.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you catch it running again for no reason turn off the main water
valve to see if it stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That won't really reveal anything, except one scenario (assuming the valve
is good):
If he turns the main valve off, and the meter KEEPS spinning, then something
is f'sure wrong w/ the meter itself.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
ups.com...
if you catch it running again for no reason turn off the main water
valve to see if it stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DAVID ALEXANDER wrote:
[...]

My parents' house is vacant, and it was running 10s of thousands of
gallons per month. At first I suspected an error from the meter to the
electronic meter reader. Nope! Then I thought someone was stealing
water from the hose so I shut off the water main to the house. Another
high bill! So I have had the meter replaced (free) and old one tested
(about $40 if no error found). However, I don't know how they could
test such a device accurately, given how weird the problem is. In
fact, I have not heard back from them in 4 monthes. I subsequently
learned that my water co is running unusually high pressure in my area.
Don't know if this would throw out a meter. GET YOUR METER REPLACED!

I called the city guy and told him that the meter had stopped, and he could
hardly believe it. We both know a leak doesn't plug itself. He had no
suggestions. I was just grateful that it had stopped.

I kept an eye on the meter for a couple of hours and it didn't budge.
However, a few hours later, just before I went to bed, I decided to check it
again and, sure enough, it was running again for no reason.

Any suggestions or analysis would be appreciated.

David Alexander

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
That won't really reveal anything, except one scenario (assuming the valve
is good):
If he turns the main valve off, and the meter KEEPS spinning, then something
is f'sure wrong w/ the meter itself.
--

EXACTLY IT elminates one failure mode, plus running water can often be
heard, run valve near shut can generate more noise at least it does for

Having been a service tech since 1975 when confronted with something
you dont understand try to narrow down its failure modes by changing
anything.........

standing around saying I dont understand accomplihes little.

if there are some service valves try shuttling them to narrow down the
problem.

I installed ball valves to all fixtures to make life easier when
changing washers or if something fails.

like the nite my tub faucet wouldnt shut off with no valve to the
bathroom ALL the water was off till it was fixed......

really inconveniuent.

that happened since, no problem valve off in basement

Posted to alt.home.repair

install a new main shutoff and a new meter.
if there is a buried pipe from an outdoor meter to the house, replace
it.
stop putting bleach dispensers in the toilet tank.
replace all toilet tank fill valves and flusher fixer.
see:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/
some briefly quoted he
" Leaky toilets waste more water than you think. Silent trickle or
constant flow, every leak is a costly one.
Leaks caused by old toilet parts waste water, bloat your water bills
and cab trigger serious water damage.
It's cheaper to fix leaks than pay for them. The sooner you detect and
replace faulty tank parts, the faster you'll save water and money.
Fluidmaster parts and kits make the job easy. Read on and learn how
simple and smart it is to find and fix those leaks.
TOP THREE LEAK FACTORS
* Parts installed over five years?
* Prolonged exposure to bleach in-tank cleaners?
* Visible rust or warping?"

DAVID ALEXANDER wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In most cases the water meter is *not* faulty.

In some cases, one house with a garage or whatever has been split into two.
Or a business with two buildings has been split into two separate
properties. BUT they don't separate the water lines! It is possible that you
have a water line going to a neighbor. But only if at one time the two
properties were one. Symptoms of this are constantly high water bills, water
use when your house is vacant. Or neighbors house is vacant, then occupied
and suddenly you have a higher water bill.

Other than that, it is a leak somewhere. I would find where the water lines
go, enter house, etc. and install shut off valves. When it is happening,
shut off a valve to just the house for example while leaving the yard water
on. Then you can eventually narrow down the leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , william wrote:
if the usage needle is moving showing water use but the triangle (indicating
water flow) is perfectly still, would this indicate that the meter is faulty?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-164020-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

That was 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some quoted text!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 11:22:30 AM UTC-5, DAVID ALEXANDER wrote:
[...]

Shut the main valve off in the basement. If your water meter is still spinning, turn the water back on, and get your video camera. Record the meter spinning with the water on, and then keep recording when you go shut it off, and go back to it still spinning. You might need it for the lawsuit against the water company if they don't want to pony up a refund.

....but really, the odds are it's going somewhere. Sounds like A LOT too. I'd normally say check your toilets, but you may have a pipe under the foundation or something that burst, creating a nice little sinkhole. That's not the water company's problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That main valve is SOMEWHERE, and it's usually not far from the meter. If the house was made less than 30 or 40 years ago it's probably a ball valve. Looks like this. http://www.cranecpe.com/images/dmIma...all-valves.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, John D wrote:

That main valve is SOMEWHERE, and it's usually not far from the
meter. ...

You'd think so, wouldn't one?

But, the house in TN (I discovered when the regulator failed closed
leaving us with an infant two days home from delivery and no water) had
the isolation valve buried in the line leading to the house about 6-ft
from the actual entrance at an el in the direction the line was laid.

To make it even more enjoyable, at the time it was in the middle of a
two-week long rainy spell so digging in E TN red clay and standing at
the bottom of a 3-ft hole/trench was a treat indeed...at least it was
early May so wasn't terribly cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2016 1:16 PM, John D wrote:
[...]

Wonder if he found the problem, since the
first post in 2006?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:22:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

He found it, just before he drowned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/21/2016 1:16 PM, John D wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 11:22:30 AM UTC-5, DAVID ALEXANDER wrote:
Last week, when I got my water bill, it was a whopping $185.00. On checking
my water meter, it was spinning at the rate of about 3 gallons per minute.
I checked for anything leaking in the house and didn't find anything. The
same for the outside faucets. There's no evidence of water leaks outside,
no damp spots, etc.

...but really, the odds are it's going somewhere. Sounds like A LOT too. I'd normally say check your toilets, but you may have a pipe under the foundation or something that burst, creating a nice little sinkhole. That's not the water company's problem.

Wonder if he found the problem, since the
first post in 2006?

He found it, just before he drowned.

I wonder if he'd be alive if he had AR-15
assault rifle? Hollow plastic stock, could
have used it to float to safety.

These threads are so much more interesting
with the follow up. Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young