Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower stall question

I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote in
:

I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

You aren't looking hard enough. Everyone sells shower-only faucet sets.
e.g. Look for a Delta model 1323 at Home Depot (Store SKU #: 413320)
Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:
I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

All the mfr make a shower-only fixture.
You can even buy just the valve(s) and add your
own choice of shower head.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/
look thru their bath selection as one example.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"46erjoe" wrote in message
I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

There are shower-only faucets available. You're just not seeing them in the
stores you went to. Open the yellow pages and find a real plumbing supply
store. Or, call 800-BUY-MOEN. They should be able to give you model numbers,
and you can use those to find more info on their web site, which is a bit
weird to navigate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"46erjoe" wrote in message
I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

If you can't find the right thing, you can always just plug the
pipe from the valve to the tub spigot.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

You generally can buy a standard faucet and simply cap the outlet that would
supply the tub spout. You say "the tub spigot that turns on the
showerhead", but this is only because when you pull up on the 'diverter' you
force the water up to the head. By plugging the tub spout you are
effectively doing the same thing.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"46erjoe" wrote in message
I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

Joe, I went ahead in my shop and bought diverter faucet with the intent of
putting a plug into the opening that would go down to the tub. However, as
my wife pointed out, why not install a second spout in the shower, down low,
so we can wash the dog and possibly just wash our feet only. Worked out
fine. The second spout is about 18 inches off the shower pan and I put one
of those flexible hose-type shower heads on it.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:55:07 GMT, Old Fangled
wrote:

46erjoe wrote in
:

I'm building a small bathroom in my basement. It will have a shower
stall, not a tub. But all the faucet fixtures for sale in the DIY
stores sell fixtures with the tub faucets too, which for me will be a
waste of money. Furthermore, it is the tub spigot that turns the
showerhead on and off, right? So how does this work if I don't have a
tub spigot? WIll I have to buy the full set and throw away the tub
kit, and if so, how will the shower head be always "turned on"?

You aren't looking hard enough. Everyone sells shower-only faucet sets.
e.g. Look for a Delta model 1323 at Home Depot (Store SKU #: 413320)

On the other hand, having a spout that will deliver full-flow
for filling buckets is frequently vary convenient. So having
a tub-spout in a shower stall isn't as dumb as it might appear.

Although I'd go with a hose-bib if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote in
:

On the other hand, having a spout that will deliver full-flow
for filling buckets is frequently vary convenient. So having
a tub-spout in a shower stall isn't as dumb as it might appear.

Although I'd go with a hose-bib if possible.

That's why I prefer the european style slide-bar with the faucet on the end
of a 5 foot hose. Works great for showers, and handles buckets with aplomb
:-)

shower installation question [email protected] UK diy 2 June 19th 06 10:48 PM
Shower stall help? maxinemovies Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 04:05 AM
replacing bath tub with a shower stall Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 7 August 23rd 05 10:07 PM
shower water question jim Home Repair 2 February 10th 05 05:22 PM
reconstruction of shower stall and bathroom floor Spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 12th 04 02:13 AM