Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) Sump Pump Not Switching Off

My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the sump
pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the
pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then when
it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump keeps
running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to push
the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going
bad?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It sounds like the float is stuck. If the float moves freely up and down,
completely and it doesn't shut off, you probably need a new switch

"Kevin G." wrote in message
ups.com...
My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the sump
pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the
pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then when
it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump keeps
running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to push
the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going
bad?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your reply.

Are switches easy to replace? If so, would you be able to tell me
step-by-step how to do it (or refer me to a website that might have
information)?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

RBM (remove this) wrote:
It sounds like the float is stuck. If the float moves freely up and down,
completely and it doesn't shut off, you probably need a new switch

"Kevin G." wrote in message
ups.com...
My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the sump
pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the
pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then when
it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump keeps
running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to push
the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going
bad?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I believe that is just a lever activated switch. It would have two wires
connected to it and would be inside a water tight enclosure. I'm sure, once
you figure out how to expose it, the replacement will be easy. You can try
Zoeller's website for any breakdowns on the pump
ups.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
It sounds like the float is stuck. If the float moves freely up and down,
completely and it doesn't shut off, you probably need a new switch

"Kevin G." wrote in message
ups.com...
My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the sump
pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the
pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then when
it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump keeps
running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to push
the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going
bad?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Here is a link to the parts breakdown for your pump:
http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM0472.pdf

RBM (remove this) wrote:
It sounds like the float is stuck. If the float moves freely up and
down,
completely and it doesn't shut off, you probably need a new switch

"Kevin G." wrote in message
ups.com...
My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the
sump
pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the
pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then
when
it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump
keeps
running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to
push
the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going
bad?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are switches easy to replace? If so, would you be able to tell me
step-by-step how to do it (or refer me to a website that might have
information)?

before replacing the switch, check that the float travel may just need
to be adjusted

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I am not mistaken a new switch and a cover gasket is around 10$ at a
larger plumbing supply if there are any left.
If the float moves freely then also try some silicone or armor-all on
the gasket that envelops the switch arm because the rubber gets stiff.
Replacement of switch is 4 screws, you might be able to reuse the
original gasket or doctor it up with silicone seal.

Mark wrote:
Are switches easy to replace? If so, would you be able to tell me
step-by-step how to do it (or refer me to a website that might have
information)?

before replacing the switch, check that the float travel may just need
to be adjusted

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could try to add a little weight to the float end of the arm. This
could be enough to make it shut off.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alright, I'm back. I had my Zoeller pump replaced because it was still
under warranty. I installed the new sump pump and let it kick on. It
pumped out the water fine and kicked off, which was great. However, I
noticed a few drips of water coming from the pipe connection. So, I
had to screw in the "grip tighteners" (don't know what they're called)
tighter.

When it kicked on again, this time it failed to kick off. I realized a
bunch of water being pushed out of the pump (from the bottom of the
pump) back into the sump while the pump was running. Is this normal?
What could be the cause of this? The pipe is screwed in very tightly
into the pump, but maybe not tight enough?

At what level should the pump be placed in the sump? Would that have
any effect on whether or not the pump shuts off?

I'm starting to wonder if I really might not have had a bad pump after
all, but maybe an error in installation?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/answers.

Kevin

---MIKE--- wrote:
You could try to add a little weight to the float end of the arm. This
could be enough to make it shut off.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Goulds Irrigation pump Not Working HELP [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 31st 06 09:47 PM
Sump Pump 538$ m Ransley Home Repair 8 March 27th 06 07:29 PM
Questions - Battery Back-up Sump Pump Keith Home Repair 20 January 28th 06 11:43 PM
sump pump lifetime? peter Home Repair 8 January 3rd 06 09:14 AM
Sump Pump Help Needed [email protected] Home Repair 14 April 25th 05 05:09 PM