Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Before I tear apart this faucet...

....I need some opinions. I have a leaking faucet in the tub. It's a
single handle, Peerless model. I have been leery of trying to fix it
because from what I've seen in my reading, it's hard to tell what I
might run into in the faucet. I know zip about doing this and don't
want to end up disabling it altogether!

One of the sewer guys who was here working the other day (yes, the
house is fraught with plumbing woes right now) eyeballed it and told me
it's "...the easiest kind to fix. You just take off the handle and
you'll find two little springs and two rubber washers. You need to
replace the rubber washers."

What do you guys think? Given that I have never repaired any faucet in
any way, am I more likely to be able to fix it or to end up destroying
it and having no shower until I call a plumber?

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
...I need some opinions. I have a leaking faucet in the tub. It's a
single handle, Peerless model. I have been leery of trying to fix it
because from what I've seen in my reading, it's hard to tell what I
might run into in the faucet. I know zip about doing this and don't
want to end up disabling it altogether!

One of the sewer guys who was here working the other day (yes, the
house is fraught with plumbing woes right now) eyeballed it and told me
it's "...the easiest kind to fix. You just take off the handle and
you'll find two little springs and two rubber washers. You need to
replace the rubber washers."

What do you guys think? Given that I have never repaired any faucet in
any way, am I more likely to be able to fix it or to end up destroying
it and having no shower until I call a plumber?

Jo Ann

First thing is look at the paper work that came with the faucet Not
available--go to the manufacture's web site and look up the manual for the
faucet. At this point you should know whether or not you can handle the
repair. If it's similar to the single lever faucets that are typically used
in the kitchen it should be relatively easy to repair. If you open it up
change all the parts--kits should be available that will have everything
that you'll need. Call the manufacturer and ask for advice. In many cases
they will actually send you a kit (free) that will contain the parts you'll
need.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

One of the sewer guys who was here working the other day (yes, the
house is fraught with plumbing woes right now) eyeballed it and told me
it's "...the easiest kind to fix. You just take off the handle and
you'll find two little springs and two rubber washers. You need to
replace the rubber washers."

What do you guys think?

Option A = Hire a plumber and watch him
carefully so as to learn what he does.

Option B = homework: locate on the WWW
instructions with pictures showing how to replace
washers in this type of faucet, including a checklist
of tools and preparations (e.g. turning off the water
beforehand.) Then do it yourself.

If B requires buying a tool you do not already have,
option A may suit you better.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann,

Peerless does have a web-site with diagrams and advice. From your brief
description it's not clear whether you need new parts or just need to
tighten something, so go to the web-site. Parts for your faucet are probably
available at most hardware or plumbing stores, if you need parts.
Spray the parts that need to unscrew with penetrating oil (WD40) before
you start and let the oil work for half an hour. Turn off the water. Use the
right tools. These faucets are not hard to fix.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like one I did for some friends. Like you say, two springs and
two washers. The kit was less than three bucks, and I was in and out
in an hour. They were leaking hot water, so it was a big thing to
them.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
tim tim is offline

David Martel wrote:

Jo Ann,

Peerless does have a web-site with diagrams and advice. From your brief
description it's not clear whether you need new parts or just need to
tighten something, so go to the web-site. Parts for your faucet are probably
available at most hardware or plumbing stores, if you need parts.
Spray the parts that need to unscrew with penetrating oil (WD40) before
you start and let the oil work for half an hour.

WD-40 is a water dispersant, not penetrating oil, and the two shouldn't be
confused. WD-40 has very limited lubrication properties, which are reduced after
the carrier fluid dries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Before you take it apart, if it is only a small drip and only when the
handle isn't straight up, work the handle a bunch from side to side.
Sometimes some grit gets in and stops things from working right and working
the handle a bunch in all directions cleans it up. I had a drip from a sink
2 years ago. Worked the handle a bunch and its been fine ever since.

wrote in message
ups.com...
...I need some opinions. I have a leaking faucet in the tub. It's a
single handle, Peerless model. I have been leery of trying to fix it
because from what I've seen in my reading, it's hard to tell what I
might run into in the faucet. I know zip about doing this and don't
want to end up disabling it altogether!

One of the sewer guys who was here working the other day (yes, the
house is fraught with plumbing woes right now) eyeballed it and told me
it's "...the easiest kind to fix. You just take off the handle and
you'll find two little springs and two rubber washers. You need to
replace the rubber washers."

What do you guys think? Given that I have never repaired any faucet in
any way, am I more likely to be able to fix it or to end up destroying
it and having no shower until I call a plumber?

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a final consideration of how bad it could get, consider what is on
the other side of the wall the shower faucet is on. If it's a closet,
or a room where you can easily just repaint a wall, then if you get
screwed up and have to replace the whole thing, it still isn't too bad,
as you have easy access from the backside.

If, on the other hand, it's an outside wall or similar, then I think
you're going to have a much bigger problem if total replacement is
needed.