Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are you Accessing this NG via "news-server"

I am having a difficulty configuring one of my computers that crashed.
It does not want to accept news-server as a valid server. Anyone else using
news-server as your news server? As you can see it works on another one of
my computers.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
I am having a difficulty configuring one of my computers that crashed.
It does not want to accept news-server as a valid server. Anyone else using
news-server as your news server? As you can see it works on another one of
my computers.

Since 'news-server' isn't a valid name for a server (no domain), I'm betting
that that's an entry in the HOSTS file on the computer that's working, and
said entry is missing on the one that's not. Also check to make sure that your
DNS settings are the same on the two computers. Bottom line is, on the machine
that's working, something is translating 'news-server' to a valid IP address,
and on the other machine, that's not happening.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
CSS CSS is offline

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I am having a difficulty configuring one of my computers that
crashed. It does not want to accept news-server as a valid server.
Anyone else using news-server as your news server? As you can see it
works on another one of my computers.

It could be RR going through a different server. I have RR, and used to go
through the Columbus server, since it carried some groups NEO didn't carry.
About a month ago, I couldn't get a connection through the server. I wrote
them, and they told me to start using "news-server.neo.rr.com".

I noticed my posts, no longer give out the NTTP posting host IP address,
where as I see yours still shows that you're posting from around Hillard.
It also takes a few minutes for my posts to appear, where as they used to
appear immediately.

A further update from RR, told me they were starting to use a different
server for their newsgroups (I'll be darned if I can remember which one).

Joe, try configuring your server as " news-server.columbus.rr.com"

I hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
[...]

That makes sense, I will look into that one.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CSS" wrote in message

[...]

I had already tried news-server.columbus.rr.com.

I will give news-server.neo.rr.com a try. Can't hurt.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Posted to alt.home.repair

CSS wrote:
[...]

You win the prize. I tried news-server.neo.rr.com - no luck. I tried
news-server.columbus.rr.com again and this time it changed it to
"news-server.columbus.rr.com" and then it worked. Strange indeed. In any
case I am not back up and responding from my primary computer. All I need
do now is get all my settings back and find all my photos for Adobe
Elements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
CSS wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Correction to prior message.

You win the prize. I tried news-server.neo.rr.com - no luck. I
tried news-server.columbus.rr.com again and this time it changed it to
......"news-server.neo.rr.com"...... and then it worked. Strange
indeed. In any case I am not back up and responding from my primary
computer.
All I need do now is get all my settings back and find all my photos
for Adobe Elements.

Accessing Setup Menu On Old Panasonic PV-4212 VCR w/o Remote deebee Electronics Repair 1 August 17th 06 08:28 PM
accessing the wreck RayV Woodworking 11 May 19th 06 01:35 PM
Need help accessing this newsgroup Sbtypesetter Woodworking 43 February 6th 05 10:26 PM
Accessing roof vent Peter Wells Home Repair 1 February 6th 05 03:04 PM
Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote Electronics Repair 3 November 1st 03 03:53 PM