Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall glue

I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cut one or two 1x2's a few inches wider than the hole. Hold these on
the back of the wallboard and hold them in position with wallboard
screws. Be sure the heads are counter sunk a bit. Then put your patch
piece in the hole and hold in place with a few screws into the 1x2s.
Tape and mud. This is faster than a trip to HD to buy the adhesive,
and cheaper.

PaPaPeng wrote:

I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:13:38 -0500, Stubby
wrote:

Cut one or two 1x2's a few inches wider than the hole. Hold these on
the back of the wallboard and hold them in position with wallboard
screws. Be sure the heads are counter sunk a bit. Then put your patch
piece in the hole and hold in place with a few screws into the 1x2s.
Tape and mud. This is faster than a trip to HD to buy the adhesive,
and cheaper.

Drywall screws! Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks. Love this
group.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

PaPaPeng wrote:
I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.

Doesn't really matter what kind of glue you use...you're only sticking
paper tp paper which is of course what the wallboard outer layer is
made of. White glue is OK, but you really ought to keep a bottle of
Titebond II or III around for household repairs like that to take
advantage of the water resistance. If you're dealing with a bathroom
repair use a setting type drywall mud too. Before you start make sure
to have some simple clamps handy to keep things secure until they set.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby spake thus:

PaPaPeng wrote:

[...]

That'll work, but to me it's doing things the hard way.

What a guy would want to do in this case is to make a "dutchman": cut a
piece of drywall about 4" bigger in both dimensions than the hole. Draw
lines on the back of the piece which are a little smaller (about 1/8")
than the hole is (that is, about 2" in from the edges). Score--but don't
cut--along these lines. Peel the back paper and gypsum off from the
section around the piece the size of the hole, leaving only the paper on
the front.

Now you have a patch which you can just stick into the hole (that's why
the lines should be drawn a little smaller than the hole). All you need
to do now is "mud it in", using joing compound. Smear some on the back
of the paper and the wall around the hole, push the dutchman in, smooth
it down, mud over it, let dry, then sand.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:05:51 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.

I had to cut some holes for fishing wire, and this is what I did.

I used wood shims, latex caulk and drywall screws. The caulking as
glue seems to work for me, and doesn't run like wood glue, and doen't
stink like construction adheasive.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
PaPaPeng wrote:

I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I would
suggest you use some strips of wood instead of drywall for the
backing, and just secure them with drywall screws through the existing
drywall surrounding the hole.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

That'll work, but to me it's doing things the hard way.

What a guy would want to do in this case is to make a "dutchman": cut a
piece of drywall about 4" bigger in both dimensions than the hole. Draw
lines on the back of the piece which are a little smaller (about 1/8")
than the hole is (that is, about 2" in from the edges). Score--but don't
cut--along these lines. Peel the back paper and gypsum off from the
section around the piece the size of the hole, leaving only the paper on
the front.

Now you have a patch which you can just stick into the hole (that's why
the lines should be drawn a little smaller than the hole). All you need to
do now is "mud it in", using joing compound. Smear some on the back of the
paper and the wall around the hole, push the dutchman in, smooth it down,
mud over it, let dry, then sand.

This gives the opposite problem - it's the easy way, but it doesn't work
very well. It's not very strong, at least. If it never gets touched,
that's fine. You certainly wouldn't want to attach anything to the wall
there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc spake thus:

[...]

True, but it's plenty strong otherwise, and it works extremely well;
I've always found it to be an excellent solution. You can touch it with
no prolems. I thought the OP just wanted to fill a hole in a wall, not
attach anything.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 01:39:45 GMT, jeffc wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
What a guy would want to do in this case is to make a "dutchman": cut a
piece of drywall about 4" bigger in both dimensions than the hole. Draw
lines on the back of the piece which are a little smaller (about 1/8")
than the hole is (that is, about 2" in from the edges). Score--but don't
cut--along these lines. Peel the back paper and gypsum off from the
section around the piece the size of the hole, leaving only the paper on

Now you have a patch which you can just stick into the hole (that's why

This gives the opposite problem - it's the easy way, but it doesn't work
very well. It's not very strong, at least. If it never gets touched,
that's fine. You certainly wouldn't want to attach anything to the wall

It works great for small repairs, and not for where the towel bar is
going to anchor. Personally I use it as stated only on about 4" by
4" or smaller. Bigger than that I can fit some 1x2 bracing thru the
hole. With that in place then put the patch on and screw it to the 1x2.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com