Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall glue

Stubby spake thus:

PaPaPeng wrote:

I need to fill in a drywall cut-out the size of a floor tile. The
recessed toothbrush holder was more a nuisance than it was worth. The
intent is to glue a couple of strips of scrap drywall as backing and
then glue a piece of drywall the size of the cut-out, tape and mud to
make a "invisiblke" patch. What is a good household glue to use for
drywall on drywall? I don't want to start a tube of construction glue
that comes out of a dispenser . I have contact cement and white glue
handy. The Dollar Store has several other types of glue.

Cut one or two 1x2's a few inches wider than the hole. Hold these on
the back of the wallboard and hold them in position with wallboard
screws. Be sure the heads are counter sunk a bit. Then put your patch
piece in the hole and hold in place with a few screws into the 1x2s.
Tape and mud. This is faster than a trip to HD to buy the adhesive,
and cheaper.

That'll work, but to me it's doing things the hard way.

What a guy would want to do in this case is to make a "dutchman": cut a
piece of drywall about 4" bigger in both dimensions than the hole. Draw
lines on the back of the piece which are a little smaller (about 1/8")
than the hole is (that is, about 2" in from the edges). Score--but don't
cut--along these lines. Peel the back paper and gypsum off from the
section around the piece the size of the hole, leaving only the paper on
the front.

Now you have a patch which you can just stick into the hole (that's why
the lines should be drawn a little smaller than the hole). All you need
to do now is "mud it in", using joing compound. Smear some on the back
of the paper and the wall around the hole, push the dutchman in, smooth
it down, mud over it, let dry, then sand.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)