Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower wallpaper nightmare

OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my house
put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The tiles end at
about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The first 1/4" of the
wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under that edge. All the
wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom renovation project next
spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm wondering what will remove the
mildew without destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but I
doubt it'll work well in its current condition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of
my house put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb.
The tiles end at about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there.
The first 1/4" of the wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew
under that edge. All the wallpaper will be removed as part of a
bathroom renovation project next spring. But meanwhile, this is
ugly and I'm wondering what will remove the mildew without
destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but I doubt
it'll work well in its current condition.

Clorox

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my house
put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The tiles end at
about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The first 1/4" of the
wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under that edge. All the
wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom renovation project next
spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm wondering what will remove the
mildew without destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but I
doubt it'll work well in its current condition.

Household cleaner with water and a LITTLE bleach (separately). I've
reglued edges using diluted Elmer's glue, but it will probably take some
of the paper off the wallboard if I ever remove it. I papered our bath
about a year ago - paper isn't in shower enclosure but goes right up to
the edge and meets the tile. I masked the edge and put a fine line of
caulk along the shower opening and the entire lower edge of the paper.
So far, so good. Moisture runs down and seeps under edge of paper and
veneer at lower end of door, so always paint bottom of door, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

I forgot - use masking tape to hold it down until glue dries, and pull
off carefully straight back on itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:49:27 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my house
put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The tiles end at
about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The first 1/4" of the
wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under that edge. All the
wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom renovation project next
spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm wondering what will remove the
mildew without destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but I
doubt it'll work well in its current condition.

SInce it's all coming out in the spring anyway, just staple it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my
house
put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The tiles end at
about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The first 1/4" of the
wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under that edge. All the
wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom renovation project next
spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm wondering what will remove the
mildew without destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but
doubt it'll work well in its current condition.

SInce it's all coming out in the spring anyway, just staple it.

Hmm....I *do* have a box of rust-proof staples. That, and a layer of white
silicone, and this could be a job that puts the "K" in kustom!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:49:27 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my
house put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The tiles
end at about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The first 1/4"
of the wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under that edge. All
the wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom renovation project
next spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm wondering what will
remove the mildew without destroying the wallpaper. I'd like to reglue
the edge, but I doubt it'll work well in its current condition.

I would use deluted bleach and a small brush such as an old tooth brush or
fingernail brush to gently clean the mold problem up. Let it dry
thoroughly before proceding.

Then I would use hot melt glue gun and glue along and under the edges of
the paper to glue it down. To smooth out the edges after using the hot
melt glue gun I would use an old iron (iron for clothing) and place news
paper overlapping the tile and iron the newspaper to melt the glue and
smooth out the wallpaper right up to the edge of the tiles. You must pull
the newspaper loose as soon as the hot iron passes where you have ironed
to prevent it from sticking to the wallpaper. Excess glue will be able to
be scraped off the slick surface of the tile. The drywall or backerboard
will retain enough heat to smooth the paper down before it cools using a
small putty knife. Hot melt glue and a glue gun are cheap at craft stores.
Old irons can be found at thrift stores that still heat ok but the handle
may be broken or abandoned because people just don't need them anymore
with all the no press fabrics. Hot melt glue is waterproof and when your
ready to remodel the old glue can be wicked out of the wallboard with a
hot ironing method with newspaper or paper towels.

Hope this helps.

You think the hot glue would be preferable to wallpaper repair glue for this
situation? I've got that and a leeetle tiny roller, but I'm not obsessed
with using these things if they won't work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:18:43 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I would find a corner and try it first if you question it working. The hot
melt glue would be waterproof and perhaps seal the top edge of the tile if
done carefully. My only concern would be using this method with walltex®
or a plastic coated type wallpaper that is used in bathrooms that would
melt. Yes, I think it would work with *paper* but every part should be as
dry as possible first.

This is the way I would have approached this problem if I would run across
this myself. I have used an iron to smooth out and do something simular
with hot melt glue before that involved a paste-board project. The
glue had hardened too fast and left a gap between two pieces and the iron
remelted the glue and spread it out to close the gap. That is why I
recomended the iron because the hot melt glue will cool quickly and not be
as pleasing a finish if you just use a glue gun alone. The wall will
absorb the heat and leave little working time. The newspaper keeps the
glue from sticking to the bottom side of the iron and being spread where
it's not wanted.

Practice glueing down some paper on something such as an old brick or
chunk of concrete, scrap of drywall, that will leach the heat from the
glue before the paper is in the proper position and use the iron and news
paper method to rescue and reposition and smooth it after it has set up.

I hate this bathroom. :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remodel, HGTV style

Ravn23 %367924%
http://www.gamestotal.com

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:18:43 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sledge hammer?

"Ravn23" wrote in message
oups.com...
Remodel, HGTV style

Ravn23 %367924%
http://www.gamestotal.com

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:18:43 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Sledge hammer?

"Ravn23" wrote in message
oups.com...
Remodel, HGTV style

Ravn23 %367924%
http://www.gamestotal.com

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:18:43 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Sledge hammer?

"Ravn23" wrote in message
oups.com...
Remodel, HGTV style

Ravn23 %367924%
http://www.gamestotal.com

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:18:43 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

. ..