Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Shower wallpaper nightmare

Norminn wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

OK...maybe not a nightmare, but a real pain: The previous owners of my
house put wallpaper on the upper part of the tub walls. Dumb. The
tiles end at about 5-1/2 feet and the wallpaper begins there. The
first 1/4" of the wallpaper is peeling away and there's mildew under
that edge. All the wallpaper will be removed as part of a bathroom
renovation project next spring. But meanwhile, this is ugly and I'm
wondering what will remove the mildew without destroying the
wallpaper. I'd like to reglue the edge, but I doubt it'll work well in
its current condition.

Household cleaner with water and a LITTLE bleach (separately). I've
reglued edges using diluted Elmer's glue, but it will probably take some
of the paper off the wallboard if I ever remove it. I papered our bath
about a year ago - paper isn't in shower enclosure but goes right up to
the edge and meets the tile. I masked the edge and put a fine line of
caulk along the shower opening and the entire lower edge of the paper.
So far, so good. Moisture runs down and seeps under edge of paper and
veneer at lower end of door, so always paint bottom of door, too.

I forgot - use masking tape to hold it down until glue dries, and pull
off carefully straight back on itself.