Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ventilation for using spray paint

I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April, probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement window,
put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away. But, I wonder
about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling volatile fumes right past
its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April,
probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement window,
put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away. But, I
wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling volatile fumes
right past its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Stop worrying...

Open the window, spray away, close the window a few minutes later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April,
probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement window,
put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away. But, I
wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling volatile fumes
right past its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Stop worrying...

Open the window, spray away, close the window a few minutes later.

Plan B: Borrow big-ass heater from neighbor, heat 1-car garage to 85
degrees, run in fast, close door, shut off heater, spray helmet. Disconnect
electric door opener. No sparks. Run out fast, come back later.

Why don't kids think about their Halloween costumes in August? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April,
probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement
window, put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away.
But, I wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling
volatile fumes right past its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Just keep the can and helmet in the house so the paint and target surface
is a good temp. Take outside and spray. What's it gonna take, a few
minutes? Bring inside right away. Repeat for 2nd coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:54:05 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April,
probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement
window, put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away.
But, I wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling
volatile fumes right past its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Just keep the can and helmet in the house so the paint and target surface
is a good temp. Take outside and spray. What's it gonna take, a few
minutes? Bring inside right away. Repeat for 2nd coat.

Absolutely. I spray ceiling AC registers outside all winter using that
method. The biggest thing is to keep the can inside your jacket so the
paint stays warm until you spray.

This had better work, or you and Bundy will never hear the end of it,
because I won't, either. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:54:05 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

I/we'll find some reason to blame it on you, don't worry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:54:05 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

Get in line. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April, probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement window,
put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away. But, I wonder
about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling volatile fumes right past
its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

put some paper down to protect from overspray and just spray in the
basement. I would not even open a window.

safest is a latex paint , then enamel , then laquers.

I would keep any direct heat sources turned off if spraying laquer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

All done. Turned off everything, set up fan in window. Fumes reached the
fan, ignited via spark in motor, blew flames onto side of next house. High
winds carried fire to the next 11 houses, as well as enormous quantities of
fallen leaves. 73 dead, 11 injured. But, the helmet turned out beautifully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Got 'er Done. That's all that counts. The other issues are a matter for
other newsgroups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All done. Turned off everything, set up fan in window. Fumes reached the
fan, ignited via spark in motor, blew flames onto side of next house. High
winds carried fire to the next 11 houses, as well as enormous quantities of
fallen leaves. 73 dead, 11 injured. But, the helmet turned out beautifully.

which UL listed fan generates sparks? I thouhg most fam motors were
shaded pole induction motors without commutators.

been spraypainting in basements for years, even with furnaces running