Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ventilation for using spray paint

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:54:05 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two
requirements which may be impossible to arrange:

1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April,
probably.

2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement
window, put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away.
But, I wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling
volatile fumes right past its motor.

The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four
seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop
worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Just keep the can and helmet in the house so the paint and target surface
is a good temp. Take outside and spray. What's it gonna take, a few
minutes? Bring inside right away. Repeat for 2nd coat.

Absolutely. I spray ceiling AC registers outside all winter using that
method. The biggest thing is to keep the can inside your jacket so the
paint stays warm until you spray.

This had better work, or you and Bundy will never hear the end of it,
because I won't, either. :-)