Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winterize Sprinkler System - Febco Backflow

I know this subject has been talked about at great length in these
forums/groups. But I still do not have a good answer to my question.

I am planning on blowing out my own sprinklers this year. Looking
through all the forums and instructions I can find on the subject, I
have found conflicting advice. Some sources say DO NOT blow out through
the "Testcocks". So, this leads me to my question... where do I hook
the compressor line to?

Here is an image of my valve:
www.sacreativeservices.com/forum_stuff/febco.jpg

Do I hook to A? B? or C? it seem like C is a bleeder valve of sorts.

Can someone give me a little advice please?

Thanks,

SA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
I know this subject has been talked about at great length in these
forums/groups. But I still do not have a good answer to my question.

I am planning on blowing out my own sprinklers this year. Looking
through all the forums and instructions I can find on the subject, I
have found conflicting advice. Some sources say DO NOT blow out through
the "Testcocks". So, this leads me to my question... where do I hook
the compressor line to?

Here is an image of my valve:
www.sacreativeservices.com/forum_stuff/febco.jpg

Do I hook to A? B? or C? it seem like C is a bleeder valve of sorts.

Can someone give me a little advice please?

Thanks,

SA

I observed mine getting blown today. My setup is similar to yours
without "C".
The company who installed the sprinkler system did the work. They
used "A" to blow the sprinkler lines, and "B" to blow the supply line
back inside the house with the drain opened inside, and the supply valve
shut.

lionel

Posted to alt.home.repair

My old system (I don't have one in my current home) had a hose bib on the
setup like you show. They just hooked the line to that, after closing the
valve inside the house...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you could do in the future is sweat in a hose bib after the
breaker,after the shut-off valve so you can blow it through there, so
you don't risk losing any air pressure through the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Lionel C. Abrahams :
Scott wrote:
[...]

Take the picture, omit A and B, and install a hose bib valve instead
of C. That's what ours is.

To blow the lines, I close the valve inside the house, and connect
the airline to the hose bib. I manually open each zone valve in
turn, and blow the segment out thru the sprinkler heads.

Once done, I remove the airline, and let any water remaining in the
feed line drain out the hose bib.

Done.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies... So, if I use "A", will it damage anything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I installed a valve in my sprinkler system shortly past where it connects to
the house water supply. This valve allows me to hook up and blow out the
entire system. You might consider doing a bit of plumbing if you don't have
a spot to hook on an airline.

oups.com...