MattMika

Default Help with sprinkler system components

I turned the water on to my sprinkler system last night. First problem
was that I forgot to shut the drain valve. I was wondering why I wasnt
getting any heads to spray when I went to the valve to find a small
growing pond. Closed the valve, problem solved.

Next I noticed a small leak in one of the fittings on the water supply
line. Can anyone tell me what these fittings are? Freeze protection?

http://dimensional.com/~rotaour/sprinkler.jpg

The two things on top of either upward pipe are what I'm talking
about. If you look closely you can see a bit a spray coming from the
one on the right. They have an opening about 120deg I assume is to
spray water away from the house when they break.

The entire assembly is soldered together. What kind of torch will I
need to break this loose? I assume a typical propane torch will not
get hot enough fast enough, but I'm not sure as I've done no soldering
of copper pipe before.

Both of these fittings also have a hex cap on top(see photo), which is
also soldered. Is it possible to fix the fitting by removing this cap
or is the whole unit junk?

TIA
Matt
Rich256

"MattMika" wrote in message
[...]

The device in the middle is an anti-siphon valves and the two little ones
are vacuum breakers and should not be spraying at all. Their purpose is if
case of loss of water pressure they should prevent ground water from
siphoning back into your water supply. The one you have is an older design.

The hex cap should not be soldered. There should only be a gasket to
prevent it from leaking.
You can try taking the top off to see if there is something that is
preventing the valve from seating.

They should be available at any outlet such as Home Depot or Lowes.

Are the vacuum breakers soldered to the manifold? They should be just
screwed in.

You should be able to take it all apart with an ordinary propane torch. Of
course you turn off the water and drain as much as possible.

I would first try heating the hex caps on the breakers and try to get them
off with a wrench or take off the whole piece and buy a new one.

MattMika

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get the cap off but it really
looked like it was soldered. Why it would be soldered I wouldnt know,
but I've found several things in this house since I bought it in '03
that made me scratch my head.

I'm thinking the easiest thing to do will be to take the vacuum
breaker and the coupler its screwed into off and put a new set on.
We'll see how it goes tonight after work.

Thanks again,

Matt

My neighbour's sprinkler system was turned on when went to work, house flooded [email protected] Home Ownership 5 January 27th 05 09:30 PM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM