Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Relocating a washer and dryer

I'd like to convert another part of the house into a laundry room.
However, this room has no plumbing and sits on a slab foundation. It is on
an exterior wall however. The hardest part of this is tapping into the
sewer line since it's about 20 - 30 feet from the back of the house and who
knows how deep. I also have a PVC pipe sprinkler system that I'd have to
navigate around.

A plumber suggested creating a "gray water" drainage system in the
flowerbed behind the back of the house. The laundry water would drain
directly into this, saving a considerable cost of tapping into the sewer
line.

Are there any opinions out there regarding this kind of solution? Is there
an easy way to harvest the gray water and use it to sprinkle the lawn vs.
wasting it underground? Would that require a holding tank of some sort?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Crabshell" wrote in message

A plumber suggested creating a "gray water" drainage system in the
flowerbed behind the back of the house. The laundry water would drain
directly into this, saving a considerable cost of tapping into the sewer
line.

Are there any opinions out there regarding this kind of solution? Is
there
an easy way to harvest the gray water and use it to sprinkle the lawn vs.
wasting it underground? Would that require a holding tank of some sort?

It may not be permitted by your local health codes. It is not a good idea
if you live in a climate that freezes. It may be possible to install a
septic system for it, but that would probably cost as much or more than
getting into the sewer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Crabshell writes:

Are there any opinions out there regarding this kind of solution? Is there
an easy way to harvest the gray water and use it to sprinkle the lawn vs.
wasting it underground? Would that require a holding tank of some
sort?

Not a bad idea, but I'm wondering what the amount of phosphates and
nasties in detergent would do to your lawn. I'm guessing it wouldn't
be good.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not a bad idea, but I'm wondering what the amount of phosphates and
nasties in detergent would do to your lawn. I'm guessing it wouldn't
be good.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

some nasties act as fertilizers..........espically phosphates

bad idea if your area freezes, or close by neighbors complain.

forget selling home with this...... home inspection nightmare.

rather than going thru sl;ap you could pump it, using trash pump to a
comvenient drain.

if washer is going to finished space consider what will happen when
machine floods or leaks.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:1161022745.267281.32480
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Not a bad idea, but I'm wondering what the amount of phosphates and
nasties in detergent would do to your lawn. I'm guessing it wouldn't
be good.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

some nasties act as fertilizers..........espically phosphates

bad idea if your area freezes, or close by neighbors complain.

forget selling home with this...... home inspection nightmare.

rather than going thru sl;ap you could pump it, using trash pump to a
comvenient drain.

if washer is going to finished space consider what will happen when
machine floods or leaks.....

The plumber claims it's not against code, but he's from California (I'm in
Dallas). It can get cold here. It's seldom below freezing for days on
end, but there was a stretch in the early 1980s where the lakes around here
started to freeze. I'm guessing that would mess up the system. I wonder
if it would stress the pipe enough to ruin it?