Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters...

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
If you're handy
enough, take the valve out and see if that doesn't increase the
pressure. If it does, then just get a new valve. BTW, you shouldn't
need a balancing valve. Something is awry somewhere. Perhaps you'll
end up repiping the main arteries that feed the fixtures.

This comes to me as a surprise. In every house I've ever lived in
prior to, as well as including, this one, people have had to time their
showers (or tell others before showering) in order to avoid being
scalded or cold-shocked while showering. I remember my Dad turning
down the thermostat of a new hot water tank that had just been
installed in his house, as a safety precaution to decrease the chance
of somebody getting seriously injured while showering in the event that
somebody opened or closed a tap somewhere unawares during.

I've never lived in a house with such a problem, and I've seen some
pretty corroded galvanized pipes. It would take a significant constriction
in the cold line to make this a problem if you have reasonable supply
pressure.

You sound skeptical if my claim. What parts of the country have you lived,
if I may ask? Have you lived in custom built houses or production built (or
both)? I have no doubt that you have never experienced this while
showering, or even while washing your hands for that matter. After all,
just because my experience has not been the same is not sufficient cause to
doubt what you report as having been your experience.

Ken

a true horror story HankC Home Repair 14 May 28th 06 12:26 AM
Too Much Pressure Charlie Home Repair 6 February 1st 06 01:35 PM
Sump Pump questions John Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 12:25 AM
type of copper to use to repipe house Ron Home Repair 42 February 9th 05 03:59 PM
Hot water system problem... Andrew L UK diy 20 September 14th 04 10:43 PM